1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

ball joints [Expired Topic]

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by MrShorty, Jan 20, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Been looking into a slight shimmy in the front end of my '98 Suburban. A shop suggested that the ball joints may be a little loose. I've read through Chilton's write-up; just wondering if anyone has any tips learned through experience.

1) Any tricks to verifying the ball joints, or does the "jack and wiggle" technique apply.
    2) Anything the manual may have missed that I should know if/when it comes time to replace? One concern in this category is releasing the tension in the torsion bar. The manual says to release the tension (using a special tool I'm not going to have lying around), but I've seen it suggested that it isn't necessary when replacing just the lower ball joint. If it is necessary to release the tension in the torsion bar, where does one get such a device?
  2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Never had to jack with that. What do you mean by shimmy? Do you have play in the wheel or does it float a bit when going down the road?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.