1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball Joints

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Eaglefixer, Feb 24, 2010.

1. Eaglefixer

Eaglefixer New Member

Whats the best way to change both upper and lower ball Joints on a 1999 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 4WD?

Thanks

Steve
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

1999 was a year that GM made both body style, 1990-1999 and 1999-2007. The 90-99 had rivited in ball joints and the 99-07 have press in. What body style do you have?
  3. MixedLove

MixedLove New Member

I took my truck, (1996 Z71) to a local backyard mechanic. It cost me $325 in labor to have all balljoints replaced, Steering gear box, and drivers hub assembly. Yes i got lucky on the labor I feel. He was a mechanic for 12+ years. Then sold Mac tools and with the poor economy he was still wrenching so he just started doing it full time in his own shop. Ask around and find a good mechanic like that. The lowers can be a pain from what I have read up on. Yes it can be done. Also get it aligned when all is done.
  4. LIBERTYHILLBILLY

LIBERTYHILLBILLY New Member

I have a 98 Z71 and the way I replaced the Up and Low Ball Joins was kinda easy. The lower ball joint was forged in, not riveted. The upper was riveted so I just drilled the rivets out and installed the new joints which are bolt on. The lowers was a different story. I had to pound the ball joint out with a hammer and use a ball joint press to install the new ones. You can borrow a ball joint press from Auto Zone.
  5. Eaglefixer

Eaglefixer New Member

well my brother and i changed the ball joints this weekend. We changed the upper control arms which included the upper ball joints and changed the lower ball joints. The lower ones took the longest time because we had to cut them off and beat them out but we got them. We had no rivets on either one of the ball joints. We also changed the shocks while we were there. We had already replaced The brake pads.
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2010