1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ball Joints

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by rileyjr16, Dec 29, 2011.

1. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Can ball joints squeak when they go bad?
  2. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yes. When a ball joint is going bad typical signs include a clicking or snapping sound later followed by squeaking at the following times: the end of a stop, when your ride first lurches forward as you mash the gas, and when hitting bumps (basically any up/down motion that causes the ball joint to move substantially from its current position).
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Certainly, they can also clunk, click, or snap whenever you have movement in the front suspension.
  4. rileyjr16

So I guess its time to replace them
  5. dipstick

dipstick New Member 100 Posts

How about some grease.
  6. rileyjr16

Grease nipple is stuck shut and the boot is torn not allowing grease to stay in. Might change them tomorrow. Gotta change that, knock sensors, wheel bearing, door hinge, passenger 3rd door outside handle.
  7. dedmon27

dedmon27 New Member 100 Posts

If you actually feel the ball joints click, or any other type of noise. You are on borrowed time. Most the time you hear squeeks I would check sway bar bushings, and upper and lower control arm bushings. Pretty much any original rubber bushing. Shocks can also squeek as well. A way I check for bad suspension components on my truck is to feel the tires(as long as your alignment is good). If I feel cupping or high spots on my front tires I'll shake down my front end. But I shake it down and rotate every oil change anyway.
  8. rileyjr16

Not the shocks. If its sway bar bushings and such oh well. The boots are torn on them so I just assume to replace them anyway. Gonna do that tomorrow and hopefully change my knock sensors as well. Gonna change it all before I put a lift anyway.
  9. medicmatt

medicmatt New Member 100 Posts

I've got an intermittent squeak/chirp at times too. It doesn't always do it though. I seem to hear it when I start driving, or when I slow down, and at times when I'm turning. Once I get up to speed I don't seem to hear it and like I said, it doesn't always do it. Never heard it on any of my old Silverados. Not sure what it is.