1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Ban on youth ATV's started Feb. 10 2009

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by highmilageklr, Feb 15, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. highmilageklr

highmilageklr New Member

Our government has now ban youth ATV's, motorcycles and parts. Even if you don't ride please help support those who do, your hobby could be next. http://capwiz.com/amacycle/home/
  2. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Can I ask you where the information on the actual ban is so it can be read?
  3. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

From what I understand this CPSC was looking into the amounts of lead contained in OHV's. I seriously doubt that they will ban these machine because of the possibility that children will be exposed to lead.
    Besides there is a large amount of adults that use PW50's and similiar machines for entertainment.
    Hopefully they will stay out of the whole thing and life can go on as usual.
  4. highmilageklr

highmilageklr New Member

5. highmilageklr

highmilageklr New Member

They are already banned, as of Feb. 10 2009. I can not get a throttle for my KLR 650 because it interchanges with a KX 65.
  6. tlperry68

tlperry68 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

This is too bad, I hope it doesn't go through. I haven't heard of a kid getting hurt by the lead in the battery terminals.
  7. Springthing

Springthing New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

8. highmilageklr

highmilageklr New Member

Here is also a letter sent to all the US Honda Dealers:

February 6, 2009
    Dear Honda Dealer.
    This letter provides an update on the status of the Consumer Product Safety Improvement Act
    (“CPSIA” or “Act”) lead content regulations as they relate to the sale of your new and used
    inventory of TRX90, CRF50F, CRF70F, and CRF80F models.
    Significant efforts continue, including your efforts and communications with legislators, to
    exempt small motorcycles and ATVs from these provisions of the Act. The second page of this
    bulletin explains some of the larger efforts that industry has undertaken.
    We believe that the exemptions from the CPSIA’s lead content regulation necessary to sell small
    motorcycles and ATVs ultimately will be granted and, at that time, you will be able to conduct
    business as usual. Unfortunately, it does not appear this will happen before February 10, 2009.
    Therefore, in order to comply with the Act, American Honda and each Honda dealer must take
    specific actions upon opening for business on February 10.
    American Honda will send you a list of actions at the end of the day on February 9. This list will
    require your immediate attention and action to:
    • Stop sale of all new and used CRF50F, CRF70F, CRF80F and TRX90X units.
    • Cease all marketing and advertising efforts for these models.
    • Remove all display and point of sale materials for these models.
    • Stop sale of some replacement parts for use on these models.
    In addition, Honda will provide assistance to offset flooring expenses of your inventory for 60
    days while we work to ultimately secure exemption.
    American Honda would like to thank each of you who have taken action to contact your
    legislators to communicate the negative impact of the Act on your business and our customers
    without providing any corresponding benefit for children’s safety. Please continue to take action.
    It is critical that the wholly unnecessary, negative impacts of the CPSIA be made clear to
    legislators so they can take all necessary actions to resolve this matter.
    Again, American Honda is continuing efforts to obtain an exemption in order to support the
    decades of customers that have purchased and enjoy these models from your dealerships.
    With best regards,
    American Honda Motor Co., Inc.
    Ray Blank
    Senior Vice-President

With this said, all threads on this topic will be locked or merged with this thread so people can discuss in one place. This affects all companies importing and selling Youth Pitbikes including the chinese import companies.

**Edit - Link to a Kawasaki press releas
  9. silversurfer

silversurfer New Member

oh man - that is horrible - I don't even remember hearing anything about it before now
  10. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That is horrible! My 2 Son's raced motocross for several years and it's a shame things are changing like that.