1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

banging noise

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by thom, Aug 11, 2009.

1. thom

thom New Member

2009 express cargo van with 15000 miles on clock :a banking noise is heard in the rear area when going over mild to severe bumps.the noise is resembles the sound you would hear if you lightly hit the frame with a large hammer.the noise can not be heard if the brakes are applied.visual inspection was done and nothing was found to cause the issue.
    i am not sure how to research recalls or tsb's .
  2. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow New Member

check your exhaust hangers and muffler it might be the tube over the axle tappin on the belly of the van
  3. thom

thom New Member

this I did,wasnt the cause.the mystery is why the noise isnt there with the brakes applied.
  4. TMRuiz

TMRuiz New Member

Check your leaf hangers, I put a set of lowering shackels on my 2000 and one of them came loose and would make that same noise when hitting bumps but not while the brakes where applied (I guess because the axle was slightly twisted putting the hanger in a bind preventing it from making the noise, just guessing), but thats one place you might try looking.

Good luck and hope you get it fixed.