Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

barn door hinges

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jwaldburger, Oct 1, 2013.

1. jwaldburger

jwaldburger New Member

So I'm taking the barn doors off my 96 to go on my 92. Or at least I thought that was what I was going to do. Has anybody figured out how to get the hinge pins out? I even got the Chilton manual and of course no help! It only covers the tail gate style.don't want to cut the hinges out, not a welder. Any ideas how to get those stupid pins loose?

2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As far as I know, the hinge pins are not removable. To pull the doors off, you either have to unbolt the door from the hinges or the hinges from the body of the truck. This also means that you will have to re-align the doors once they are put on the other truck, but I think you needed to do that anyway.

3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Use a rubber mallet. They were put in before the truck was painted so the paint makes it harder to make them move.

4. jwaldburger

jwaldburger New Member

okay, i have tried a hammer and a punch to try and push the pins through. you can drill the spot welds on the hinges but not a good option. the hinges have an L bracket that goes behind the tail light and would have to cut another piece of panel once you get them loose. tried heating the hinge pins, still no win! cutting the hinges or breaking welds are not an option as i am no welder and this is all done in my drive way.
    has anybody had any success with getting these off?

5. bazar01

bazar01 Member 2 Years 100 Posts

I have not looked at my 01 suburban with barn doors. What does the pin look like? Can you use a slide hammer with a tooling to attach to the pin head?

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

My understanding is the hinge pins are pressed in and removal was never intended.
    Just a guess but I believe you would either need something like dry ice or a torch to heat or cool for removal.
    One set I saw removed had ridges so even if you could get a hold of them you couldnt twist them out.