Barn Doors

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by rwhitbeck, Apr 30, 2007.

1. rwhitbeck

rwhitbeck Rockstar

Do any of you know whether or not it is possible to replace a tailgate on a 1988 GMC 'burb' with the "barn door" style doors? If it is possible, is it a huge undertaking to do it?

Thanks for any input!

2. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

3. rwhitbeck

rwhitbeck Rockstar

Thanks, Steve...I am reading all of the previous posts! Anyone else have input??

4. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I MAY want/have to do this myself, depending on how my 4wd project goes, please keep us updated!

Last edited: Apr 30, 2007
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

On my last Suburban (97) I looked at going from barn doors to a tailgate, IMO a tailgate offers a better rear view for backing a trailer. I abandoned this project due to the possibility of totally screwing things up real quick.
    The structural support is already built into the door frame, and most of the fasteners are tacked into place behind the panels. The biggest problem is door alignment, you have to be pretty precise with your measurements to get the lines to match-up and everything closing and latching correctly.
    I'd say it's possible to do but may take a little trial and error fitting to get it right.

6. TrailLeadr

TrailLeadr Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I've been wondering for some time now if the glass for the tailgate is the same height as the glass on the barn doors.
    Does anyone know?