basic head ache rack (what's this called?)

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by Bowtied, Mar 13, 2012.

  1. Bowtied

    Bowtied Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

    Im looking to add a "roll-bar" like headache rack. Not like the one on the avalanche, nothing attached to body, purely for cosmetic look, heres a picture for reference i dont know what the name is called

    i'd really like to find a simple one to go on the back of my bed as the truck is really a good looking truck AND it has a LWB which is a major plus and i believe this will help even out the look so the bed doesnt stick out so much making my ride look like a "truck limo" so to speak.
  2. Red Z71 Max

    Red Z71 Max Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

  3. Dana W

    Dana W Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

    You're looking for a "LIGHT BAR" with an areo shape. I did some googling and didn't find one. They were kind of an 80's & 90's thing, hard to find now, probably.
  4. Bowtied

    Bowtied Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

    thanks for the link but theres not one like im looking for among the first 4-5 pages of what their offering, although they do have some catchy styles if money was not an option.

    What i want is something more like whats posted above, i assume i might have to get something made out of fiberglass, the one i actually saw in person was really flimsy almost "tacky" looking plastic that had been simply screwed into the bed on each side, just a little thin piece of aerdoynamic plastic or fiberglass to give "the look."

    maybe i should start looking for one of these at a flea-market, but on the other hand, if i did have to seek someone out to make something like this, where would i start?
  5. Dana W

    Dana W Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

    That pretty much describes all of them I ever saw. Places similar to Bushwhacker used to sell them, but have not seen any in years.

    If you want to get one made, put a steel frame roll bar kinda thing under it. Look for fiberglass fabrication shops. Problem is though, to do a 'one off' job like this they would cost you a second mortgage.
  6. marko54

    marko54 Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

    A real head ache rack is used to keep cargo from slamming into the cab of a truck/semi or p/u and killing or crushing the driver. Maybe you should look for a truck outfitter dealer or H.D. truck parts dealer.
  7. Dana W

    Dana W Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

    Yup, and they got the name from the snow chains hanging up there on hooks in dry weather, and banging into the rack all day long.
  8. KidHauler

    KidHauler Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

    I'd call it a cab fairing. Lund used to have a couple of offerings, and there may be other companies.
    I did a image search for "racerback" and found some stuff that way. I haven't seen many of them installed in quite awhile, either.

    Good luck,
  9. moogvo

    moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

    What are you wanting to put it on? You might be able to find one in a bone yard.

Share This Page

Newest Gallery Photos