Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Basic troubleshooting for a slight rough idle

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by maury, May 6, 2008.

1. maury

maury New Member

I'm attempting to not start throwing parts at this thing. Here's the rundown:
    99 k1500, 136k miles - slight stumble at idle. NO CEL codes.
    New fuel/air filters. Plugs have about 40k on them. Wires are original.

Am I correct in assuming that problems with EGR and Idle valves, temp sensor and misfires will show up in a CEL? I sure would like to think its vacuum related but haven't found a leak as of yet and its only a minor stumble. She seems to accelerate smoothly. The idle problem seems to have come on all of a sudden and not progressed - but I could be wrong.

Anyone offer a list of possible culprits?
    Thanks
    maury

2. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Could be dirty injectors. You might try running some seafoam through the gas tank. I do that ocassionally and it seems to run smoother once I have finished that tank and put fresh gas in.

3. maury

maury New Member

Gary,

Forgot to mention I did seafoam the truck just recently with no difference. I try to keep techron in the tank every 4-5 fillups. I had the injectors in my old bimmer (with over 200k) professionally cleaned and balanced. There was moderate improvement but not as much as I would have thought at that mileage. I guess without any codes to work with, I'm at the mercy of changing parts. I'll start with the least $$ first.

4. zippy

zippy Rockstar 100 Posts

Could it be the Idle Air Control Valve?
    It wouldn't cost more than a possible new o-ring to tidy up and have the computer reset the IACV pintle position.

5. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is the fuel pressure up to spec and steady?

6. maury

maury New Member

Fuel pressure is within specs. New pump/sending unit assembly and filter. I changed the pump assembly because the gas gauge was possessed. The IACV is something I have to investigate. Anyone have a link to info on this?

7. maury

maury New Member

.........and would a bad IACV throw a code? I understand it wouldn't if its only the o-ring.

8. lmin2

lmin2 New Member

try cleaning your idle air sensor..that worked for me..

9. Kaedenman

Kaedenman New Member

I had/have a slight rough ile too. Mine is a 2008, though. They said they found the problem to be a bad 02 sensor. After they changed it, I still notice a slightly rough idle when stopped in drive. My other non GM vehicles never did this.

10. bkovacs

bkovacs New Member

if it was the 02 sensor, it would probably throw a code, I would say change your wires! if they are orginal, how about cap and rotor? that would usually cause problems throughout the rpm range though not just at idle, IAC could be the problem