Batteru or Alternator

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Algoport, Dec 4, 2010.

1. Algoport

Algoport New Member

I have a 2003 4.8L 8 Cyliner Chev Silverado. I never used it for nearly two months when I was away and when I went to start it the battery was dead. I boost the truck and for several days work Ok. Then today the battery was dead again, how do I tell if it's the battery or the alternator.

Thanks

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you've got a local auto parts store that does complimentary battery checks let them test if for you, they can usually test alternators too, but it has to be out of the truck.
    I'm betting on the battery since you only jumped it and it worked for a couple days.

3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

How old is the Battery in the truck now?

4. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on it being the battery,but as Tim said take it in and get it checked to make sure it's holding a charge

5. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

X3! most auto parts stores can perform a load test which will point to dead cells in the battery.. I have to get a new one today and it is doing the same thing.. also if you are charging when it is running then i would lean even heavier twards it being the battery.. And just be sure that you get one with enough CCA (cold crank amps) for your truck.. Here in MN we tend to get even more since -30degrees F can be hell on a battery and i want it to start when i go to work soo..