1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Battery dies After 12 hours of Sitting

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by weekend wrench, Dec 12, 2010.

1. weekend wrench

weekend wrench New Member

2006 GM Sierra, Crew Cab, 4WD, 5.3L.
    I believe that I have a short somewhere. In the morning, my battery is dead (or nearly dead). After I quick charge the battery in the garage, drive 1 hour to work, it starts at lunch time (I drive to lunch), and it starts at the end of the day (in other words, the battery is OK with 4 hour intervals of the truck off, but not when it sits for 12 hours). So I think that I have a short that is draining the battery when the truck is off for an extended period.

What is the standard procedure to isolate the short? I heard that one way is to disconnect the negative terminal and connect an amp meter from the post to the separated neg cable. Then remove and replace fuses until you get the one that shows zero (or minimal) amperage when it's removed. Then you've got the short isolated to the wires that use that fuse. Is this a correct method?

Any better methods?

Thanks in advance for your instructions.

Weekend Wrench