1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Battery Drained. 2000 Silverado

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Santoy956, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Santoy956

Santoy956 New Member

Ok guys i have a 2000 silverado z71 and i just got a new battery yesterday and today in the morning it was drained and when i was trying to turn it on all my dash lights and guages started going crazy and it sound as if somthing is shorted in the system but it hasnt blown any fuses. I need help asap cause i depent on that truck to get me to school.
    Any advice is welcome. Thanks in advance. :grrrrrr:
  2. Big75

Big75 New Member

you sure you got the cables on tight?
  3. Santoy956

Santoy956 New Member

yes im sure cause it clicks when i try to turn it on.
  4. hundojoe

hundojoe New Member

Did the truck start when you put the new battery in? I always charge a new battery before I put one in cause you never know how long its been siiting on the shelf, and it might have had enough reserve in to to start your truck, but if you did not drive it for very long you prolly took more power out of it then the alternator put back in.
  5. Big75

Big75 New Member

It will still click if you have a bad connection you may even get radio, lights, the whole nine. Just saying it happened to me.
  6. Santoy956

Santoy956 New Member

it started right up when i put it in and i drove it for about an hour. i think that there is a bad connection cause i just charged it and it drained the battery again.
  7. hundojoe

hundojoe New Member

Pull your starter and have it checked, Ive seen when starters start to go bad the will drain the battery.
  8. Morris

Morris New Member

hello guys...
    thanks for sharing information..
  9. Santoy956

Santoy956 New Member

i did that yesterday and the starter was good.:great: but i think the ignition swithch as gone bad.
  10. gexter

gexter New Member

I am working through a short problem myself.
    I would make sure the alternator is good before pulling the ignition switch. A Bad alternator can give bad voltage or even A/C and that could account for your crazy gauges. It could also discharge your battery if the diodes are bad and creates a path to ground. I am going through this and pretty sure this is going on with mine but no one has confirmed by suspicions.

It does looks like yours is shorting faster than mine which could mean the starter could be killing the battery and after you figure out if the alternator is good check the solenoid on the starter because that is where I would check first on the starter.

I hope that helps but i hope its much simpler like loose connection. that would be great if that was my problem.