Battery draining problem????

Discussion in 'Chevy Tahoe Forum (GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade)' started by cozhavok, Aug 2, 2014.

1. cozhavok

cozhavok New Member

I have a 2004 Chevrolet Tahoe Z71 with 192000 miles on it. After I let it sit for a day and try to start it the next day the battery is completely drained. I had the battery and alternator checked and they are both good. I have no accessories or mods done to the Tahoe it's all stock. The only thing I can think of is there is a short somewhere because the compass and the temp flash on and off along with the passanger air bag warning. Also sometimes the radio will stay open when the door is open and the interior lights will turn off quickly when door is opened or not come on when door is opened? What can I look for? Pictures would be VERY HELPFUL PLEASE. :glasses:

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

You don't have a short, that would blow a fuse.

You probably have a "feature" staying turned on and draining the battery.

The door thing could be the problem, or it could be a 2nd problem. The door problem sounds like a bad "door open" switch. This switch is usually mounted to the door latching/handle assembly inside the door. the inner door panel needs to come off to access.

The best way to find out what circuit is drawing current, is to disconnect the battery ground, insert an amp meter in series with the cable and battery, read (record if you need to) the current drain. Start pulling fuses until the current flow stops. Take the fuses out one at a time and reinsert the fuse before going to the next fuse. When the current flow stops, you know the fuse that is connected to the bad circuit. Sometimes a fuse will provide power to more than one circuit, if so, we can narrow it down.

3. cozhavok

cozhavok New Member

Do you know the part number or what I should ask for for the "bad "door open" switch" I called advanced auto tryin to explain what I need and they said they didnt have such part?

4. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Rockstar 100 Posts

Until you find the problem, install a kill switch so that a least you will be able to start the truck until you find the problem.

5. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 1 Year 100 Posts

Good info for future reference!

6. RayVoy

You probably can not buy the switch, too small a part to stock.

You probably need to replace the complete assembly if you want a GM part. I'm not sure of the part number, this could be the complete assembly: http://www.gmpartsclub.com/chevrole...cat/doors-scat/?part_name=door-latch-assembly

You can remove the existing assembly and just replace the switch, but you will need to go to an electronics part store for the switch.

Btw, it could also be a broken wire that serves the switch.

7. silverhobey

silverhobey Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Interesting info...keeping my eye on it!! Thanks...Brian from Canada:party:

8. cozhavok

cozhavok New Member

IM GONNA TRY TO CHANGE OUT THE DOOR LATCH ASSEMBLY AND SEE IF THAT WORKS. I CAN GET IT FOR $160 AT MY LOCAL CHEVROLET DEALER. THE PART NUMBER IS THE SAME PART NUMBER IN YOUR LINK. Part Number:15110643. I'LL KEEP YOU POSTED.

9. RayVoy

Keep in mind, I said that could a 2nd problem. However, it does need to be fixed and so, this is a good place to start.

10. BIGREDDADDY53

BIGREDDADDY53 Rockstar 100 Posts

A kill switch cam be make from parts for the hardware store.. Good Luck, Eric