1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

battery draining

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by nbturbo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. nbturbo

nbturbo New Member

my 03 silverado is draining its battery down to 8-9 volts in a 24 hour period. No obvious lights on, and this only started happening since christmas. The truck sits for a few weeks at a time, new battery and alt last fall. When running, it is charging at about 14 volts.
    The only thing not working properly is the volt gauge, which works properly one day then not the next; ordered a new steppor motor, not installed yet.

Any thoughts on where to check?
    tks

2. jreagan

jreagan Rockstar

New battery you say? Either the battery is bad or some parasitic drain.

3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2, but I would check for a draw before I'd replace the battery again. If you have an ampmeter or a test light hook it up & start pulling your fuses one at a time untill the draw goes away. This will be the circuit that is draining your battery.