Battery Issue - 85 Silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by cwindham, Jan 12, 2012.

1. cwindham

cwindham New Member

Hey Guys,

I have an issue connecting a battery to my truck. I had an old battery in it and I would have to jump start it b/c I am not driving it everyday. So I am thinking the battery is just old and I need a new one. I had no issues though, throw a jump on it and it would start right up. Well My pops had a new battery and I put it in there. Well I try to hook my negative to it and it constantly sparks. I didnt even notice it at first and I was wrenching it down and smoke starting coming up from the driver side panel (inside the hood not ineterior) so I hurried up and took it off b/c it was burning something up. So pops came over tapped the negative to the battery and noticed the constant spark and told me it could be one of two things... solenoid switch is sticking or starter is.

(keep in mind I am not engine literate so I am new to this)

I do not want to question him (hes a mechanic since birth type :)) but I just wanted to get some input from you guys as well. I just dont understand how it would be fine with the old battery then when I put a new one in and it would start this mess.

So if anyone can throw some knowledge this way I would appreciate it.

Thanks

2. Nodrive55

Nodrive55 New Member

Hello cwindham...
    That certainly could be the case. the arcing is because there is positive/hot that IS being energized at the moment your trying to connect the negative terminal. (for instance my hood dome light is hot when the hood open, thus a small/tiny spark when i connect my negative).
    Your starter and solenoid is on the left side of your truck...Yet in your case, the smoke coming from the RIGHT side of the engine compartment seem like you have a short in your wiring harness leading towards your fuse block. (check ALL fuses and wiring inside/outside leading towards your fuse block..)

Your "old battery" is either not holding a charge... Alternator is not charging the battery sufficiently...or you have a connection that is discharging while it sits. (clean terminals to assure good connection/ test Alternator to make sure that its up to specs.
    specs on your 85 battery 405Amps@6°F, your alternator is either 38Amps cold/66Amps hot or the 51A/78A.

Also specs shows two thermo fusible link between Battery and starter and another between the junction block and the under dash fuse block...where your smoke seemed to be coming from.
    1985 GMC.jpg

Hope this helps....GG

3. dipstick

dipstick Member 2 Years 100 Posts

You could start pulling fuses till you find what circuit has a short/draw on battery then check wiring in that circuit.
    If you find none in fuse box then look at starter ect.