1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Battery issues

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by mjclsi, Jun 26, 2009.

1. mjclsi

mjclsi New Member

My 1997 Chevy Suburban is having power issues. It won't start without a jump. Then, it stays running fine, but if it is powered back off of any length of time, it won't start again and has to be jumped. I have tested the alternator...fine. I have pulled disconnected the positive battery cable, and when you run it across the post...sparks fly. I've pulled each fuse one-by-one, and the sparks still happen. What am I not thinking of? Somewhere, something is drawing current, but what? Any tips would be greatly appreciated!
  2. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

time for a new battery

if its the original it sevred its purpose, batteries wear out take it to a autoparts store they can test it for you if it just needs a charge theyll charge it for free, or let you know its time for a new one.
  3. mjclsi

mjclsi New Member

The battery is about 4 months old, and has worked like a charm. This issue started last week. Happened once on Wednesday, then again on Monday, then again last night. The truck sat from Monday evening until Thursday evening. Did it again today.
  4. zubbiez

zubbiez Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Id get it tested sometimes you get a bad one. it may just beholding a enough of a charge to start it in a few hour period but them loses the charge if left for over a day,thats what happened to mine when it started to go. take it to where you got it at the best you get a new battery at the worst you take the battery of the list off things it could be.
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2009
  5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Here is a NO COST test for you!!!! Get the truck running, then run it around a bit to get the battery charged back up. When you get home DO NOT shut the truck off. Disconnect the battery from the truck, if it dies you have an alternater issue. If thats the case DO NOT run it like that, alternaters can lock up and this could break your belt and cause other damage!!