1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Battery not charging and '03 Suburban died

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by Snoburbun, Feb 13, 2010.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Snoburbun

Snoburbun New Member

My wife was driving home last night and the lights went dim then dark and my Chevy died - no electric - she was locked in on the road. I went over - toowed her off the road.

Any suggestions on trouble shooting?

Last edited: Feb 13, 2010
  2. seffieldvillage@aol.com

seffieldvillage@aol.com Rockstar 100 Posts

hi well i would put aother battery in and start it up. once it is running unhook the battery. if it dies it the altinator. . then take it to auto zone and get it checked. hope this helps. you can run the truck without a battery once it starts. ralph

3. s5belford

s5belford Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

X2 on what he said.

Welcome to the club! and hope you find all your answers here!

4. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site!:glasses: X3! Hope you find the problem, and get it worked out.

5. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It's probably the alternator. That elplains the dying part. Show your wife how to manually unlock the doors if this ever happens again.
    Good luck.

6. djtommye

djtommye New Member

2004 Chevy Suburban 5.3L

Started getting the "Battery Not Charging" light, along with the battery service light, and the Voltmeter would drop below the usual 14v.

At the oil change shop, they checked it and said the battery had a bad cell. Bought a new battery. The alternator checked out okay.

Went back because the light was still on, they checked the alternator again and said it was bad. (They wanted over $300 to replace it!) At this point, I'm wondering if they are just selling me stuff, so I went home and pulled the alternator.

Took it up to the local O'Reilly Auto Parts store and watched the guy test it 3 times. All passed.

Put it back on the car and thought maybe it was some sensor error, and the battery just needed to charge.

The next night, we drove it (BNC message still displaying) until the battery ran down and we had to jump it three times to get home.

Pulled the alternator again, and took it to Fort Worth Starter & Generator company - they rebuild alternators. It passed that test as well.

I'm talking to the tech and he said there's circuitry in the alternator, and the car has to "tell" the alternator (via an "exciter circuit" to actually send power to the batter. (Apparently, on the test bench the multipin cable is unplugged so the alternator always outputs voltage on the battery connector).

He recommended that I put it back on the car, charge the battery, and drive it up there (according to him, an car should run about 10 hours on a fresh charge with a bad alternator).

So I did.

It turns out, the alternator was bad, but it was in the circuitry and was only evident when they tested the unit on the vehicle.

So I bought a remfr. with a lifetime warranty ($149) at AutoZone and it's all fine now. By the way, they are extremely easy to replace for the DIYer.

7. jcgboys7

jcgboys7 New Member

So I'm guessing the parts shop testing the altenator while its installed is a better test than you pulling the alternator off of the truck because its under a load? Is that correct?

8. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! Good info' to know, too bad you had to go through so much to get it straightened out.

9. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club!

10. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club Burban