Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Battery Not Charging

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by jcgboys7, Dec 12, 2010.

1. jcgboys7

jcgboys7 New Member

2003 Chevy Suburban with a display of "Battery Not Charging". Have installed a new battery, and got alternator tested which showed good?????? Any ideas...

2. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich Rockstar 3 Years 100 Posts

Get a multimeter and check the voltage at the battery when engine is running. Should read 13-14 volts. If not bad alternator, if the alternator isn't working then battery voltage should slowly drop and truck will eventually give out once voltage gets too low.

If thats good maybe a bad regulator on the alternator. Check all your connections as well.

More details might help as well.

3. jcgboys7

jcgboys7 New Member

By reading more posts on this forum about this same issue, I found out that it is better to take the truck up to Auto Zone and get the alternator tested while on the truck. Because previously I had it out of the suburban and it tested good, this time I took the suburban up there and got it tested. This time it tested bad. Got a new alternator and got my battery charged there. It is working like a champ now. Thanks for the info, and yes the battery voltage was dropping on the battery while it was getting tested.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

glad you got everything fixed, and for anyone else it is always better to have them test in vehicle.