1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Battery question ~ 2000 Chevy Silverado

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by reggiecab2000, Nov 9, 2012.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Hey guys,
    So I finally went to the beach for the first time since getting my optima yellowtop battery, and was using my truck as the boombox(as usual) with the engine off. Well i noticed something VERY strange...
    Typically ill start my engine every 30 minutes or so just to be safe, and i did this as normal. I was playing moderately loud music for about 1.5-2 hours. Well with my typical batteries (NON AGM) (autocraft gold), if the battery is gettin low, obviously it will crank over a little bit slower, but if you watch the gauge, once the engine is running, it reads out anywhere between 13.8-14.4 volts. Well this time with the optima,(before leaving) i had my ignition on, but engine off, and i noticed the gauge was right above "12", so i though that was strange, but if i start it it will go back up to ~14.4 in a few seconds. So i started it and observed, it cranked over just fine, that the gauge stayed there right above "12", i let the engine idle for about 2 or 3 minutes and noticed it hadnt moved up at all. so i gave it a few steady engine revs, and little by little the gauge started moving up towards "~13 V". Very Very slowly. I continued with a few steady revs, and it went up a little higher, but right around ~13 V it wasnt going up much higher at all.

So my friends and I were leaving at this point, and i figured driving back 5 miles down the beach and then getting on the highway my gauge would charge itself back up eventually, but by the time i got home, it still had hardly risen above ~13.5 V.

The next morning i got in my truck to go to school and the gauge was back to where it was supposed to be "~14.1-14.4 V".

Is this a normal process for optima batteries?
    I am new to the AGM style, when they drain down a little bit, is the recharge process longer?
    Just wondering is this is a problem, or is this something i now have to get used to?
    thanks for your responses!

2. Marcus A.

Marcus A. Rockstar

I used these on customers forklifts were I worked. They behave differently than a flooded battery. They take vibrations better but the starting, charging and resting voltage was always different. We since changed back to flooded lead acid and have better results now. We ran computers fans and printers, all drawing juice. The 1 operator said his computer screen was brighter after installing the flooded battery

3. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

thanks marcus.
    can anyone else with relevant experience chime in on this?