Battery spark question

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by FireRed, Mar 21, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. FireRed

FireRed New Member 100 Posts

My four year old battery finally gave up the ghost, I got a new one and when I disconnected the old one I noticed a slight spark. Got he same spark when I connected the new one, I hooked up my volt meter it showed about 1-1/2 volt draw. I started by pulling fuses and relays and watched it slowly trickle down to -0-, Hooked the batter post again, started it up the went through the drill again. Pulled the ground hooked up the meter and just watched it, about two minutes it did the same drop to -0-. Is it a norm to see the draw then leak down to -0-??

Phil
  2. Dana W

Dana W Member 100 Posts

Yeah, it's normal, but I am not sure about the voltage level, The computer (and security system, if you have one) needs a small constant charge to stay alive. I hope you are getting the spark from the neg cable. Of course you know to disconnect that one first, and connect it last, right.
  3. FireRed

FireRed New Member 100 Posts

Yup 30 years a marine mechanic.

Phil
  4. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i would say its normal, the BCM and other moduals need battery juice just after shut off. Some vehicles we have to wait half hour until we can do a draw test on the system
  5. osgprometheus

osgprometheus New Member 100 Posts

I agree with you guys. Normal.