1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

battery/starter problem 2003 chev ss

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by twnoonan, Jan 23, 2013.

1. twnoonan

twnoonan New Member

Hello, New member here! I have a 2003 chev ss pickup w/65k miles.Truck is not driven much, going through batteries? The starter sometimes keeps running after truck starts. On our third battery now? Shall we replace the starter and if so can someone tell me how big a job this is for someone with basic tools knowlege? Or should we take it to a shop?

Secondly I saw a recall notice for my vehical on the forum from 2004 GM, This is a brake booster releif valve problem limiting braking preasure! I noticed this problem a long time ago and called attention to my mechanic. Is this something I could still have an open recall on and could we take this to a GM dealer for repair at this late date?
    Thanks!

twnoonan
    kennewick,wa.
  2. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would replace the starter if it continues to run after it starts. It should be straight forward and easily done with basic tools. I think that the recall that you are talking about is for the hydro boost system. Do you have hydro boost on that truck? Look at the booster, does it have a vacuum line or power steering lines running to it. If you do have the hydro booster I would call a dealer and see if it is still covered. If you don't drive the vehicle much and keep going through batteries I suggest putting a battery tender on it while it sits. That should extend the life of your battery.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Your starter issue is probably the solenoid sticking, but unfortunately you cant just buy a solenoid anymore, you have to change the whole starter to solve this type problem. I'd replace the starter before it causes damage, the possibilities are a total battery melt down and fire or fried starter wires and battery cables. It could be a potentially serious situation if not corrected.
    I believe the booster recall was a limited time recall but a stop at a local Chevy or GM dealer should be able to clear up if it pertains to you and if it's still active.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome! :great:
  5. donyms

donyms Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome aboard. :sign0016:
  6. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !