battery voltage reading

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by cordgrass, Mar 14, 2010.

1. cordgrass

cordgrass New Member

2007 4x4 chevy silverado

My battery voltage seems to run @ 13.0 volts after i have ran my truck for about 15min. When i crank it it reads 14.4 but after running it a little while it reads 13.0 volts and sometimes when i am running it under 45 mph it will go back up to 14.4 then shortly after run back down to 13.0. i changed the battery and alternator and still doing the same the thing. what could be causing this??

2. mrfixdit

mrfixdit Rockstar 100 Posts

battery voltage

Sounds perfectly normal to me.

3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Are you using a hand held volt meter? The volt meter in the dash is not very accurate. A fully charged battery should read 12.6 volts after the surface charge is removed by turning on the headlights for 30 seconds. To check charging voltage turn on all accessories and run the engine at 2000 RPM. Voltage should be about 13.6 to 14 volts with all the accessories on.

4. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

Yea what u got is perfectly normal, Voltage fluctuates a lot between 12.6 - 14.4 if it goes under 12 then that would say your alternator is gone and your running the whole truck on the battery.