1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Belt area noise.. possibly PSP going bad? HELP!

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by jhacker92, Jul 21, 2011.

1. jhacker92

jhacker92 New Member

Belt area noise.. possibly Power-steering pump going bad? HELP!

I have a 01' Sonoma ZR2. 4.6 liter..147k miles, I replaced the serpentine belt, idler pulley, harmonic balancer, tensioner, and AC compressor that was already going out as well, with all gm parts and my belt still squeaks.. I heard from someone that GM trucks, specifically s-10s, and sonomas have a steering pump problem that causes squealing, and a high pitched moaning noise. Is this true? Because I wanna get it fixed.. lol. Please help! Thank you.
    Last edited: Jul 21, 2011
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Go to Gatesbelts.com and Dayco.com, they have videos about belt issues. One of them has a video about belt noise and not have everything (pulleys etc..) aligned. Its good info.
  3. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

An easy way to determine if it's the belt rather than the PS pump is to put some bar soap on it, along the edges & the ribbed & flat sides of the belt. (Careful, watch your fingers if you do this with it running) If the noise temporairly goes away, then it could be an alignment problem with the edges of the belt rubbing on the edges of one of the pulleys. If that's not it & you localize this to the PS pump, try changing the PS fluid before faulting the pump.
  4. silveradotrailblazer

stephan, thats a good point about changing the power steering fluid. Because I have oversize tires I change my ps fluid every year. I drain it with a good old turkey baster. I change it, then run it and drain again. Last time I changed the fluid I added a bottle of Lucas ps fix because I was getting a slight squeel out of the unit, seemed to have worked.
  5. stephan

STB, I've never seen a GM schedule for changing PS fluid, (though there may be one) but I think it should be about the same as brake fluid every 2 years. That stuff gets pretty dirty & looks like it has a lot of crap circulating in it. I disconnect the return line & run it into a bucket & keep filling the resevoir till it runs clean. The turkey baster method works good too but it seemed like it was always leaving some of that crud in there.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

stephan, thanks for that info and I will try at next change.:great:
  7. stephan

Forgot to mention, it's a good idea to have a helper standing by at the key in case the hose flops out of the drain bucket & starts spraying the garage floor ha ha ha... don't ask me how I know that
    :)
  8. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome aboard! You have some good advice already but if none of their suggestions work, turn the radio up louder.......
  9. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome!.....