Belt Chirp Squeak Not Squeal

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Alaskan, Jul 16, 2010.

Newest Photos

1. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

Hi Everyone,

I'm sorry ahead of time if I'm beating a dead horse to death but this issue of mine has been bothering me. So, basically I hear a subtle chirping noise (the type I cant hear with the radio loud and my girl next to me). At idle I can hear the chirps but it is most prevalent when the rpms are higher. It does this in neutral, reverse, drive and any other gears I can think of. So that narrows it down pretty much to the belt.

Bottom line.
    The belt could be misaligned or something. The belt is new since May 2009. I put maybe 7k miles since. The truck has a total of 44k miles if that helps. Do the bearings wear?

Please any help would be greatly appreciated,

Alaskan
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I would take a look at the idler puller, and the tensioner pully since these are the ones that the bearings ususally wear out on first.. Plus what type of belt did you put on the truck? Some of the cheaper brands will squeak a bit.
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

Thanks murdog94 and caddiac,

I got some time today and had this idea. I was thinking that I could isolate the problem are by adding some pressure to each of the bearings. So I took the end of a wooden broom and actually got a result. The chirp only went away when I applied pressure to the end of the power steering pulley. So I immediately thought, "&*^%, I gotta replace the whole power steering pump." But I hope I'm exaggerating there. Have you guys ever heard of having to replace this item?

Thanks Again
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yes i have heard of bad power sterring pumps in these trucks.. However i would remove the belt and see how much play is in the pulley. and the other pullies as well. That way you know for sure before you pay for a pump that you may not need.
  5. alpine2012

alpine2012 New Member

I had a chirping noise coming from under the hood near the serpentine belt, found out it was the alternator pulley. I took caddiac's advice and sprayed WD40 onto the pulley - noise went away. Thanks.

So I ended up replacing the alternator. The WD40 worked temporarily then the chriping came back. I think the bearings were going bad near the pulley.
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010