Belt Dressing?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Goldie, Nov 19, 2013.

1. Goldie

Goldie New Member

I found a can of STP belt dressing spray while rummaging about in the garage. I haven't used it but was wondering what other members thought of it.
  2. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

I've had bad experiences with belt dressing in the past... Squeals and premature wear were the results when I used it. That was on Kristine, v-belt drives.. I've never used it on a serpentine system before.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator

I think you are only supposed to use dressings on V-belts. Never use them on a serpentine.
  4. Guardrail

Guardrail New Member

Throw it in the garbage where it belongs.
  5. poncho62

poncho62 Member

Belt dressing is only a temporary measure....buy a new belt if it needs it
  6. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator

If you have noise use some Ivry soap on them that stops the noise
  7. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

Belt dressing? Your talking about soda right?! Lol
  8. The Heater

The Heater New Member

No, the manufacturers don't want you to use that crap.
  9. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

lol they don't recommend panty hose for temporary v belt replacement either. Don't mean it doesn't work lol
  10. The Heater

The Heater New Member

Yeah, you're the guy who doesn't think he has to follow instructions on packing his parachute either. Go ahead and do everything your way. Some people just don't know how to follow instructions. The prisons are filled with them.
  11. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

roflmao! And you do EVERYTHING by the book to the letter right?
  12. poncho62

poncho62 Member

The pantyhose thing may have worked for a few miles 50 years ago.....with todays vehicles, not a chance.

Buy a new belt.
  13. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

it only worked with the V-belt as does belt dressing. Replacement is the only option with serpentine.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  14. Goldie

Goldie New Member

Thanks for some stimulating reading and good info. Interesting enough the can label says it is for serpentine belts as well as v-belts. (Don't fired up folks, I'm not going to use it on my serpentine belt.) I don't need a new serpentine as of yet, but may give it a try on the v-belt of my riding mower.
  15. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida New Member

I just caught this old post. The last time I used belt dressing was around 1994 and after it eat up the internals of the alternator the very next day, I would never use it again. Come to think about it, I haven't seen belt dressing in the stores for a long time.
  16. The Heater

The Heater New Member

I think you can find belt dressing next to Fuster Banana's Snake Oil Elixor and Mort's Chrome Muffler Bearings.

This is a product that creates a need by its own marketing. If the belt is not working properly, you replace it. Even on a riding mower.

Mr. Goldie, thank you for serving in the U.S. Marines. I appreciate your service and that of every Marine. I always feel better when there are Marines around.
  17. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

Works great on dress belts but I'd never use it on the belt for my jeans.
  18. Dana W

Dana W Member

Gotta think it was the alternator in the first place. Belt dressing is bad for the belt, but it only increases friction, doesn't eat alternators.