1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Belt Dressing?

Discussion in 'Maintenance & Upkeep' started by Goldie, Nov 19, 2013.

1. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

roflmao! And you do EVERYTHING by the book to the letter right?
  2. poncho62

poncho62 Member

The pantyhose thing may have worked for a few miles 50 years ago.....with todays vehicles, not a chance.

Buy a new belt.
  3. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

it only worked with the V-belt as does belt dressing. Replacement is the only option with serpentine.
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  4. Goldie

Goldie Active Member 1000 Posts

Thanks for some stimulating reading and good info. Interesting enough the can label says it is for serpentine belts as well as v-belts. (Don't fired up folks, I'm not going to use it on my serpentine belt.) I don't need a new serpentine as of yet, but may give it a try on the v-belt of my riding mower.
  5. WorthFlorida

WorthFlorida Member

I just caught this old post. The last time I used belt dressing was around 1994 and after it eat up the internals of the alternator the very next day, I would never use it again. Come to think about it, I haven't seen belt dressing in the stores for a long time.
  6. The Heater

The Heater Member

I think you can find belt dressing next to Fuster Banana's Snake Oil Elixor and Mort's Chrome Muffler Bearings.

This is a product that creates a need by its own marketing. If the belt is not working properly, you replace it. Even on a riding mower.

Mr. Goldie, thank you for serving in the U.S. Marines. I appreciate your service and that of every Marine. I always feel better when there are Marines around.
  7. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member

Works great on dress belts but I'd never use it on the belt for my jeans.
  8. Dana W

Dana W Member

Gotta think it was the alternator in the first place. Belt dressing is bad for the belt, but it only increases friction, doesn't eat alternators.