1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

belt squeal on 305 vortec because of alternator pulley?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by treykelly84, Feb 13, 2010.

1. treykelly84

treykelly84 New Member

OK here is my dilemma every time i buy a new serpentine belt it begins to squeal within a month or so at first i thought it was a bad bearing or pulley so i replaced the idler pulley,alternator,belt tensioner and pulley,water pump,and the ac compressor is also new due to an a/c repair last year the only things not replaced is the power steering and crank shaft pulleys but i know for a fact they are in good shape. so the other day i got to looking and listening to exactly where the sound was coming from turns out it is coming from my alternator pulley it is almost as if the pulley is not wide enough for the belt it rubs the outside edges of the belt and makes a squeal so i filed my belt down to a narrower width and the squealing stopped. is this a problem with aftermarket alternators? Ive been through 3 of them with the same results what can i do to solve this its embarrassing to have a squealing truck.
    by the way its a 96 chevy 4x4 1500 with 305 vortec
  2. treykelly84

treykelly84 New Member

no one has any idea?
  3. Lowered96

Lowered96 New Member

Trey,
    I am new to this forum.Your truck symptoms are exactly what I am experiencing.
    My question to you, is what method did you use to "file" your belt?
    Also, do you have the Autozone Duralast Gold alternator?
  4. Red Z71 Max

Red Z71 Max Rockstar 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

It sounds like an alternator that was equipped with the incorrect pulley!! Try changing the alternator with a AC Delco or a different brand.
  5. JnBama

JnBama Rockstar 3 Years 500 Posts

Good idea , had problems with cheap alternators from Auto Zone till AC Delco
  6. tino8080

tino8080 New Member

I changed my idler pulley,tensioner pulley,fan pulley,alternator & the serpentine belt several times & it stills squeaks..im frustrated already what can it be?it squeaks louder while im accelerating

- - - Updated - - -

Oh by the way my truck is a 99 chevy tahoe with vortec
  7. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have gone through a few tensioners with my suburban they don't seem to last more then 2 years before they squeal ungodly loud