1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

belt tensioner bracket

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 39 gmc, Sep 10, 2008.

1. 39 gmc

39 gmc New Member

can anyone remember back to 1989?? I have a 1989 gmc 4x4 1/2 ton trhat I want to remove the a/c compressor. what do i need to do? new bracket, shorter belt, different belt tensioner?? I'm prety sure the b.t. has to be moved but it appears i need a different bracket to mount it in the right location. then there is the 40 or 6 groove serpentine belt issue/
    also does anyone know if they make an assembly or parts manual

thanks for any info

I have mounted a 1039 body on this chassis. I have a feeling I'm just getting started on the first of many issues. LOL
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

which motor does it have and what's the configuration of the accesorries on the belt currently? I want to say if you have the a/c compressor on the drivers side with a 350, you just get a shorter belt and it'll work. Mind you, this is going completely off of memory.
  3. 39 gmc

39 gmc New Member

it has the 5.7 and compressor is on the passenger side. it does show a different belt config in the book and the parts store show a different number on the tensioner for a engine w or w/o an a/c. i thought a new tensioner and belt would work on the old bracket but it doesnt seem to. jst wanted to see if someone could verify that

4. dwill3015

dwill3015 Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the site. I have an 87 Blazer 1/2 ton 350 with a/c removed but I'm not sure if there is a difference between the 87 and the 89 with the mounting location of the compressor, but I am aware of the body difference.