1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Belt Tensioner-Cov'd by Warranty?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Hwy St*r, Dec 9, 2009.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Hwy St*r

Hwy St*r New Member

The belt tensioner on my 2005 4.3 Silverado 2x4 Work Truck has started making a lot of noise when cold started and/or if it's wet outside. When I purchased my truck I also took the bumper-to-bumper warranty. Will this be covered?
  2. Waco

Waco New Member

meh

Typically not as it is considered consumer wear and tear like tires. Just had to do mine - out of warranty. How many miles you have? My 65k Silv. needed both belts, pully, tensioner and idler. $700 in parts.
  3. Alaskan

Alaskan New Member

What would be the best way to describe that noise? Or do you know for sure that it's your tensioner. If so, then I think you can get a non-OEM replacement for about 60 USD.( In Alaska, so it might be cheaper elsewhere) I had something similar, but I found that it was the belt. I know that things having to do with belts and pulleys are very equivocal in nature.

As far as warranties go, I would imagine that the tensioner is covered. It is covered in mine. But I don't have the original GM warranty. Tensioners don't strike me as a typical wear and tear item, like the belts or tires.

Other than that I wish that I could be more helpful.

2006 Chevrolet Silverado Crew Cab 5.3L Z71 4x4
  4. Shooter

Shooter New Member 100 Posts

Belts are normal wear and tear items, but not the other parts. I had a customer have his replaced last week and it was covered under his extended warranty with 72,000 on it. It that is standard practice or if the service department just made an exception for him I really don't know. To me it would not be a normal wear item if you buy the warranty extension. But if the booklet they give you with the warranty it should tell you in the back the parts that are NOT covered. If you cant find the booklet just pull up the warranty company on line, GMPP or DIAMOND, etc. which ever brand you bought..it should be listed on there as well.
    Good luck to you.