1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Bent axle?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by reggiecab2000, Oct 9, 2012.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

Hey guys,
    ive been driving on this axle like this for about 3 years now, hit a curb back my freshman year in college and im wondering if its something that requires attention...

[video]http://s1110.beta.photobucket.com/user/khosek417/media/IMG_1105_zps25de9875.mp4.html[/video]

i recently am now getting a bad creak (like old door creak) from the right rear brakes when i push on the pedal while moving or stopped, while i pump the brakes it just creaks and creaks, pretty loud.

Who could point me in the right direction for a decent replacement axle? and obviously might as well replace both if necessary, doesnt it seem the left rear might be a little bent too or no?

thanks!
    Last edited: Oct 9, 2012
  2. dpeter

dpeter Member

Is this the same rim with which the curb was hit? I do not know what the runnout spec is for the rear axle flange but I would remove the tire and check it with a dial gauge to see where it is and go from there. It was hard for me to pick out much woble from the video.
  3. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts

Looks like a bent wheel to me.
  4. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

yes its the right rear wheel, the one that hit the curb.

and its not the wheel because the wheel i bent was one of my 20's, i got these new wheels and tires back in october last year and havent hurt them since
  5. 1953bowtieguy

1953bowtieguy New Member

do you know if your hub is bent? But then again the end of your axle might actually be bent.just by a little. But id check your hub first.
  6. dpeter

dpeter Member

Since you can get both wheels in the air, I would swap wheels from side to side and be sure the woble stayed on the right side. If so, then I would have to go with your assesment and call it a bent axle.
  7. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

i did that 3 years ago lol on my old wheels, and yeah it was definitely the axle, just wondering if this is starting to cause weird tire wear on my one-year old tires... just wondering if this seems to be really bad wobble to yall, and if i replace one axle shaft, should i replace both???
  8. dpeter

dpeter Member

OK, the axle is bent and no question about that. Tire wear? Oh yes. If you can see the woble then it is absolutely to much and bad. Replace the one and inspect the other and replace it if it worn or damaged. The cost of gaskets and oil for the differential could go along way in off setting the cost of replacement of the left axle if done at a later time.
  9. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

the dealer part number for my axle is 12471369 dealer wants $552.00 each! yeah right ive found them online for between 100-200 from dorman, alloy usa, motive gear, etc. Now being i dont think i need any super ultimate high strength axle, which brand would yall recommend? i am running 305/70R16 tires(33X12.5) 10 ply tires. what is reliable?
  10. dpeter

dpeter Member

Buy the one made in the USA! If it exists.