1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

best 4x4 battery

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by TrailFiend, Dec 17, 2007.

1. TrailFiend

TrailFiend Rockstar

in your opinion, what would the best battery for a 99' tahoe 4x4, that will eventually have: roof rack lights/brush guard lights/towing hitch backup led's/400w amp w/ tube style sub? its a daily driver/weekend toy. i dont want to get stuck with a dead battery in the middle of nowhere! also, i need to buy one asap, because mine is dead right now. thanks for the help!:great:
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I'd go with one with the most cold cranking amps that will fit in the existing battery location. Find the "correct" battery for your truck, then look at other batteries that have a similar size to them, looking for more Cold Cranking Amps. Measure how much space you have around the battery tray to see if you can fit a bigger battery in there, and if you can, go for it!. One thing to be mindful of is that the combo batteries with both top and side posts are cool, especially if you have side post batteries so that you can easily add stuff on with the tops posts, but that also adds extra height. height that if it's too tall will contact a big piece of metal....not good. Hope this helps
  3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Last edited: Dec 18, 2007
  4. TrailFiend

TrailFiend Rockstar

is the yellow top better? it seems to be a dual purpose battery. i listed what i need the battery for above, so, would the yellow top be overkill, or just right?
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Excide spiral cell deep cycle, cost's more up front but well worth the price when your in the boonies.
    Optima Blue (Marine deep cell) would be my second choice.

Optima red's been having problems when used in situations where they get bumped around, the internal lug connections fail. Optima has corrected the problem on newer Red tops but lots of older Red tops are still on the shelf awaiting the unsuspecting buyer.
  6. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Really I've never heard that before. Like I said I had 2 reds in my truck them seemed awesome to me. Any model you choose would be fine though, I just found the Optima to have lots of power for me. (I.E leaving my two-radio on at nite by accident and using a 3000watt power inverter in my work van)

PS. I jump curbs all the time to get at cable boxes...Does that count as off-roading???
  7. TrailFiend

TrailFiend Rockstar

thanks for the help!

i just bought a yellow top D-34/78 - 750 cold cranking Amps (870 cranking Amps)...it works great. now i have to get my lights ang amp hooked up!