Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

best after market wheel hub assembly (2wd)

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by grinner, Feb 10, 2013.

1. grinner

grinner New Member

after 2 replacements, is there a wheel hub assembly that will last more than a year. Dealer has gone up to $500 for OEM. I really don't think there is a better option than the $500 OEM. Thanks for any help.

2. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Check amazon. Also Delco parts are covered by a 12 month/ 12,000 mile warranty. Some have lifetime but standard is that.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

timken is the best IMO. I got at autozone 3yr warr. $180. for 4wd 2000 SIL. I have used the chinese cheapo crap hubs like you last a year then hopefully you don't get into an accident.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I read right you've replaced 2 OEM wheel hubs in a year and need another one replaced?
    Timken is one of the best replacements, and as noted the Chineese knock-offs are just as likely to land you in an accident or damage more parts on the truck.
    Something I noted though is your high replacement rate on hubs, unless your driving a huge amount of miles per year you shouldnt have to replace them this often, is there something else going on with the suspension that could be causing this high failure rate?

5. grinner

grinner New Member

I should clarify......I replaced the original with a chinese hub, when I replaced the tires I had the front bearing checked while the truck was on the rack, and it was loose, so they replaced it for me with another chinese wheel hub assembly. I ususally do all of my own mechanic work, but since I was investing a $1000 in tires I wanted to make sure I got off to a good start. Now nearly every time I apply the breaks there is a grinding noise. I pulled everything down and rotated the hub and it felt rough in one spot. About 2 months ago the ABS light has been on. I have finally slowed down to have the time to fix it. I am done with chinese parts, and hopefully there is a quality part out there less than $500 that is comparable to OEM parts.

- - - Updated - - -

Partsgeek has the Timken for $113 and autozone has the Timken for $169. I have already spent $240 0n junk and am not sure if I should go ahead and spend the $500 and forget about it.

6. j cat

the issue here with my experience is no Chinese hubs period. with ABS it is just too dangerous. I could not stop the ABS went nuts. I had to pull the abs fuse so I could get home , no brakes !

since you do the work and these have just been replaced , for $300 you should be able to complete this with timken made in USA.

7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

J Cat when was the last time you bought a Timken bearing??
    I just replaced the carrier bearing, wheel hubs and a few other things on my Silverado with Timken because my dad told me they were quality pieces. Well every piece had stamped on it "made in China", all I can say is the carrier bearing lasted about 20,000 miles and It blew apart on me on the freeway pulling a car trailer.

I work at GM and as much as I hate to say it, the quality of parts coming in is getting worse and worse. Many "outsourced parts", I refuse to buy a new vehicle period from what I see everyday.

8. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It really seems to matter what part you buy. When I replaced my radiator and hoses about half the parts were made in the USA mainly the hoses, thermostat, temp sender and radiator cap all USA made but my smaller parts wern't. I would call and ask if the Delco part you want is US made and then find it for half the dealer price on amazon even tho its sold by Delco.

9. j cat

as we all have seen companies are transferring manufacturing out of USA. 2 yrs ago I got the hubs.

the bearings had stamped on it made in USA. the box also.

It is possible companies like GM have parts made for them in china. GM china is a manufacturing company based there , and I am sure they have many parts made there now.

china puts a tax on any vehicles sold in china that are not made in china. GM has a very large vehicle manufacturing plant there now.

last time I checked the timken web site stated that these are made in USA.

with the Chinese hubs, I got from 1AAUTO ,they failed under warranty 1 year ,so I got back my 75.oo back on each one. had 2 year warranty now they do not offer this amount of coverage . they must of lost a lot on those crappy hubs.

- - - Updated - - -

do you have this vehicle jacked up from OEM height ? these bearing do fail with this type change. if the U joints are straight then these bearings last a long time. also if towing hauling and the joints get out of alignment [not straight] the drive shaft components get worn down and heat up.

I also will not purchase any new GM truck . too many unhappy owners . its about profit not quality. Instead of working on increased reliability its about making the vehicles cheaper to manufacture.

10. grinner

grinner New Member

ok I purchased the Timken today. Let's see how long this one lasts. 2-11-2013