Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Brand for Impact Adapters and Socket?

Discussion in 'The Coffee Shop ~ Chit Chat' started by PantheraUncia, Oct 25, 2012.

1. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Not too worried bout Impact rachets and guns at the moment because that could be a completely different thread, but if you want to mention impact guns and ratchets you have delt with that are workhorses, let me know.

I am specifically looking at Impact Adapters, Extensions, and sockets. The big brands that come to mind are Craftsman, Ingersoll Rand, Northern Industrial, Alltrade, Kobalt, etc.

Which ones are the best? Most of these are going to have a lifetime warranty anyway, but just wondering?

And for the adapters, I have never heard of Neiki, or Tekton, etc but it looks like they are the only ones that make them.
  2. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy Thread Killer Extraordinaire Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Believe it or not, the Harbor freight impact sockets and adapters are pretty robust. I have a set of Craftsman impact sockets that I got for super-cheap last Black Friday though. I still need to get some impact adapters and extensions. I've been using my regular ones and so far, they've held up. My 1/2 drive universal is a little worse for wear after running it on an impact at full articulation on it.
  3. therealtonyg3

therealtonyg3 New Member

I'm sure like everyone, I have a "hodge podge" (uh yes I used that word!) of tools. In regards of the professional tools, I've always preferred Mac over Snap-On. Non-Professional (hardware store), I favor Kobalt over Craftsman. I know that Craftsman has a "professional" grade, but you have to order them. If you don't mind waiting you could go there, but it seems that the employees at the Sears stores to understand the warranties on their products (long story). I agree with Crawdaddy that you can get some decent sockets from Harbor Freight. That's where I got my 1/2" impact set and I use them for everything. I guess it pretty much depends on preference.
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Completely Agree! I have had a set of the Harbor freight Pittsburgh impact sockets, extensions, and adapters for 11 years and never broken one. I have twisted off my 1/2" to 3/8" craftsman adapter 5 times in that time. So, I always end up using my harborfrieght cheapy and never had an issue. My dad has a set of pittsburgh that he bought somewhere else around 20 years ago and never broken one. I will not buy a ratchet or regular sockets from them (I will only buy craftsman or snapon), but impact sockets are fine and come with a lifetime warranty! Their breaker bars are crap though.
  5. therealtonyg3

therealtonyg3 New Member

I must be the lucky one, because all of my former co-workers (technicians) all said the same thing when I strolled into the shop with my breaker bar from HF. I figured I'd use it until it broke (if I didn't kill myself in the process of using it). I'd even use a cheater bar on it. It never bent or broke at the pins (where the cheap ones tend to break). I also have a Proto Tools breaker bar, but I don't like using that one because its kind of short. (I got that one from trade school)
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 2 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Mine always broke at the pin! I did use a cheater bar on it when I broke it. But, my craftsman stands up to a 6 ft cheater bar with no issue
  7. Sierraowner5.3

Sierraowner5.3 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

one trick is to google harbor freight gems. its all the stuff harbor freight carries that is decent, rather then cheap junk.

Alex
  8. The Heater

The Heater Member 2 Years 100 Posts

K-D, SK and Craftsman are what I buy and own. In over 30 years of owning sockets including impact sockets, I have had exactly ONE (Craftsman) non impact socket break and it was from too much torque placed on it with a breaker bar by someone bigger than me trying to use it to loosen a nut on a Case backhoe rear wheel. (he stood on the breaker bar).

I buy K-D and SK at www.thetoolwarehouse.net (mostly, although there are a few other places I use too).

I don't use any Harbor Freight sockets. Or wrenches. Reason is they basically are throw away quality and they have no warranty other than a basic consumer warranty such as if it breaks and a piece goes in your eye and you prove the product was defective. Harbor Freight is banking on you being too dumb to hire an attorney to sue them over it or that you will simply just go buy another one of their sockets and claim the medical on your insurance (if you have medical insurance). I am not disputing reports that they don't break or have suited the end user to their expectations, but I don't trust them and I don't want to get hurt from a POS tool breaking while I am using it. And I don't like buying stuff made in China.

All my pneumatic tools are Ingersol Rand. Except two impact wrenches and a 3/8 inch air ratchet, which are Craftsman.
  9. grampy

grampy Member 100 Posts

Won't have any of those real cheap impact tools in my box. They will break, they shatter & when they do the peices travel across the shop at 3X warp speed - voice of experience ! Threw the rest of the set in the scrap skip !! Had one Craftsman break on me, but being a decent socket , it split, but didn't shatter. Yes, had a problem with a replacement at sears, dim bulb salesman said i'd used it on an impact wrench, well, yes,- had to point out that it was a impact socket ! As far as quality tools, several have been mentioned, got lots of SK & proto myself, also Armstrong, williams and even Allen brand ( most of theirs are U.S. made ). One air wrench that hasn't been mentioned is Chicago Pneumatic, I have three, oldest one is +30 years, anvil worn out, very beat up, still use it sometimes. When it comes to impact sockets & etc, quality counts ! Ken