1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best CAI for Sound, and MPG?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by x3no, May 23, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. x3no

x3no New Member

Hey everyone, i've been reading through some other threads trying to get ideas for a CAI for my Sierra. I'm not really worried about a massive HP gain or w/e, but just something that sounds good when i get on it a little and maybe a little MPG increase. My friend has a tundra and has a CAI that you can hear it sort of "suck air" into it and its pretty nice sounding. Kind of looking for something like that. Im guessing Volant is the way to go? Any opinions or past experiences? Sorry if a thread like this has been created, just post the link in a reply thread for me and ill go there.

Thanks all.
  2. pvcableguy

pvcableguy New Member

k&n and volant cold air intakes are good products...i have a k&n on my truck,...aftermarket exhaust helps these products as well.
  3. x3no

x3no New Member

Awesome. I've got the exhaust already. Just looking for some else semi-small to add a little aggressive sound maybe and possibly more MPG. Another question though. If I *may* be planning to do a turbo charger in the future, so is putting an intake system in a waste of time?? Need to read more into turbos and what not but didn't know if there were any opinions on that. THanks
  4. DarkCherry

DarkCherry New Member

check out the Banks cai intake. I personallly like the look better than the volant. The K&N is an open air system, wouldnt recommend, higher temps + more dust. Not a big fan of the open element.
  5. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

All of the CAI's will give you some forum of Improvement.......I've have been running a K&N CAI......I could Not be any more Pleased with it.
  6. x3no

x3no New Member

I see. Getting a few mixed responses here. Seems like they are all good depending on each truck. I'll be looking into the Volant, Banks, and K&N CAI and comparing. Thanks guys. Feel free to continue to discuss if there is more to it.
  7. 99'HEARTBEAT

Ya if you are planning on doing a Turbo......Don't waste your Time or Money on a CAI.
  8. ippielb

ippielb New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I recommend you just get a filter for your stock intake. Thats the main reason why new intakes get performance gains, because the stock paper filter is very restrictive.
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

x2....and I Agree 100%....on getting Just the Filter.
  10. Farmerdave

Farmerdave New Member 100 Posts

Changing the filter is just as good if not better than getting a CAI. I have an 07 5.3 auto with 3.73s, My Dad has an 08 5.3 auto with 3.73s. I bought the K&N replacement filter and my Dad bought the K&N CAI and we get the Same MPG within .3 so make your own choice but I think they are useless.