1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

best cold air intake system

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by ochs99, Jun 2, 2009.

1. ochs99

ochs99 New Member

I have a 99 K1500 Suburban 5.7 and am in the market for a cold air intake system. Would like to know what members recomend brand-wise, and performance. I know K&N is very popular, but I heard that the oil on the filter can cause problems with the MAF sensor. I also know there are many other brands out there but I do not have any experience with any of them.
    Any help would be great!
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member ROTM Winner Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

There are many to choose from,I've been running a K&N, for 8yrs and I have been Very pleased with the Performance that I have Received from it.
  3. 97chevz71

97chevz71 New Member ROTM Winner

I have a volant on my 5.7. would not buy anything else.
  4. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics New Member 1000 Posts

Injen make one of the best on the market and has an AMSOIL filter in it (no oiling).
  5. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT New Member

If you cruise through the "Appearance and Aftermarket" section there's quite a bit on this topic. I'm also in the market for a CAI for my 4.8 and from what I've seen from poking around quite a bit is that Volant seems to get very good reviews. I am about %90 leaning towards Volant. Hope this helps.

-Greg
  6. ochs99

ochs99 New Member

Is there a big difference between having a stainless pipe vs a plastic pipe. Wouldn't the metal pipe heat up more thus reduce the effectivness of a cold air induction system?
    Thanks for the input/info so far!
  7. drkbluZ71

drkbluZ71 New Member

question?

which brand and mode of CAIl gives the greatest hp and torque gains?
  8. masterfoxscout

masterfoxscout New Member ROTM Winner

They are about the same. Alot depends on the truck and the tune.
  9. cutabovetherest

cutabovetherest New Member

Volant is a very good brand, If I were to get 1 for the Silverado, it would def. be Volant
  10. jasoncole

jasoncole New Member

I have a AEM Brute Force on my 6.0L and I gained 2.5 mpg. It was cheaper than K&N and had similer HP and Torque gains.