1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best cold air intake??

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by NKL&DIME, Nov 19, 2009.

1. NKL&DIME

NKL&DIME New Member

Looking for a cold air intake for my pick up. Who has be best intake?
  2. b_burdine

b_burdine New Member

It really doesn't matter to be honest with you. Anything over $100 is just crazy talk. Meaning you don't get a big enough hp boost from the money that you are spending.
  3. s5belford

s5belford New Member 1000 Posts

I have a K&N that I can't use, don't have money for another one but I think if I could go back I'd go with the volant. I like how they are enclosed and I've heard nothing but good things about them
  4. adampaul1964

adampaul1964 Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ah, the age old intake question, like they said performance are all about the same, looks and price are the main things to consider. The only real no-no is chrome/metal tube types because of the high heat transfer as opposed to the plastic tube, they kind of defeat the purpose of a cool air intake, I have the Volant myself and I'm very happy with it. One more thing, there are a few out there that offer oilless 100,000 mile filters, no oiling= one less thing to worry about.
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  5. TritonBoulder47

TritonBoulder47 New Member

Take a trip to Auto Zone and check out their line of Spectre stuff... You can get filters, tubes, elbows, adapters, connectors... All the stuff you need to make your own... I plan on doing this to my g/f's Caliber...
  6. NKL&DIME

NKL&DIME New Member

Thanks everyone!! I like the idea of making my own with the Spectre, but the professional made ones, I am sure, would have better results:lol:
  7. canislupis69

canislupis69 New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Speaking of this, has anyone tried to fit a Volant filter on a K&N CAI. I have read that the volant filters filter better than the K&N filters (which is what I have).
  8. Blakjax98

Blakjax98 New Member

I have Spectra myself that i picked up at Pep Boys for $150. Easy install, sounds great when u get on it and i actually felt a difference power wise. :great:
  9. Snappy

Snappy New Member

My dad did a lot of research and decided on the Volant system for his Escalade. They offer a nice "ram air" pipe that is like a scoop from your bumper area.

In theory, there should be some gain with a cold air intake. Getting a larger filter makes it easier for the engine to pull in air. Don't be fooled by the "ram air" thing, it works on jets but not in cars at highway speeds. The stock system has baffles - my dad had a huge one but I don't see the same thing on mine. Making the transition from outside air to engine food should be as smooth as possible while grabbing the coldest air you can.

BUT, and this is a big BUT...to get the most out of it you need to tune it. With all of the gas mileage handcuffs OEM parts are getting better and better - they aren't leaving as much on untapped. However, they tune for a wide variety of destinations and a wide variety of owners who may or may not maintain their cars properly. Another factor is that not all cars are created equal. You'll find "factory freaks" and "lemons" from the same factory, same assembly team, even the same day. So, to make your specific truck run as well as it can you need to tune to its potential in its environment. Actually, a lot of the HP gains claimed by the cold air intake guys are taken after they tweak the tuning. With my Grand Prix, I upped the boost, opened up the exhaust, and added a cold air intake (which really did seem to make a difference) but it didn't all come together until I got a good tune. Honestly, you can pick up HP from a custom tune and no mods.

Something else I'll say - the research I've seen says that the filters that flow the best filter the worst - just ask Bob. Really, when you think about that, it makes sense.
  10. nlocho11

nlocho11 New Member

I went to Summit.com and got one for $128, 20min install and good to go. very easy