Best fluid/filter for the 4l60e?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by idowa, Aug 27, 2010.

1. idowa

idowa New Member

I hate starting new threads on something that has already been covered, but I've been scanning previous threads and have not seen this subject covered directly.

I'm going to drop my tranny pan and change the fluid and filter.

1st, what is the recommended fluid; Dexron III?

2nd, I go to NAPA for Wix Gold oil filters, but have no idea about different quality of tranny filters; any advantage to paying more?

3rd, I usually run either Castrol tranny fluid or a Mobil synthetic tranny fluid in my Fords; any reason not to in the 4l60e?

4th, on my newer Ford, there is a drain bolt on the torque converter to facilitate getting the maximum amount of nasty fluid out short of having the entire thing flushed. Is there a way to drain the TC on the 4l60e?

Thanks!

2. idowa

idowa New Member

Went to Autozone and got whatever tranny filter they had, some Lucas tranny fix, Mobil 1 synthetic tranny fluid that is supposed to be good for the 4l60e, and some NGK Platinum G plugs...

Hope I didn't get any awful components...

3. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Return the plugs, and buy AC delcos... As to the TC drain there isnt on a 4L60E, and what year make and model truck are you installing this on>?

4. idowa

idowa New Member

It's a `97 K1500 Suburban bone stock w/ 139k miles.

What's wrong with the NGKs? I run their V-groove plugs in everything and they are great, but Autozone was out of them for the 350...

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

X2 on the spark plugs. GM's just run better on stock factory spec A/C Delco's. I've used NAPA transmission filters in all my trucks for years and have be pleased with them. As Murdog94 said theres no plug in the converter. I use Mobil 1 trans fluid in everything.

6. idowa

idowa New Member

Looks like I'll be making a trip back to Autozone, anyways... Morons gave me a filter for the deep pan and I can't get the pan back on now...:grrrrrr:

7. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

x3.....On Staying and/or going with A/C Delco.....Iridium Tip Spark Plugs are the latest evolution in high performance plugs.....The natural properties of iridium, with a melting point of approximately 700 degrees Celsius higher than platinum, help enable the plug to burn fuel more efficiently and to deliver better performance.

8. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I found the ownly things I buy at AutoZone are things I can get off the shelve myself, otherwise I go to NAPA if I have to ask someone for something. I guess the NAPA guys can read. ( Sorry if I pissed someone off here).

9. idowa

idowa New Member

Napa Gold Wix filters are good, but I've found the Bosch that AZ sells seem to be pretty decent. Been a couple of years since I researched oil filters which is when Napa had the best for the money.

10. DAREDEVIL

DAREDEVIL Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

I AGREE ON ALL WIX FILTERS !!!!! NAPA Gold are WIX !!! I run them in all my stuff !