Best guess-oil leak near cam cover/oil pan-after replacement

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by phoebeisis, Jun 25, 2009.

Newest Photos

1. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I need a best guess here.
    About 3 weeks ago I paid a part time mechanic to change the intake manifold gaskets on my 98 suburban.Also replaced the timing cover and oil pan gasket.

I just noticed a decent oil leak-maybe 3/4 quart in 200 miles. It looks like it is coming from where the timing cover meets the oil pan.

How likely is this to be the case?

Why would it leak-with a new gasket-in other words what did he do wrong-so I don't rtepeat it.He was in a hurry toward the end- he was a fast-too fast worker?
    Kinked gasket?
    Didn't clean surfaces well enough?
    Torqued screws too tightly?
    Is it more likely to be the oil pan gasket- or-I hope not-the timing cover-which is a new GM cover.
    The screws and two nuts don't seem loose- tightened tham slightly- no help.
    Thanks
    Charlie
    PS It was an autozone FEL PRO OIL PAN GASKET.
    PPS- It will be 100 degrees today!!
  2. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Charlie,

This is quite common. The rubber seal between the pan and timing cover leaks because it gets moved out of position when the pan is installed. The good news is the timing cover can be removed without removing the oil pan so it's not that big of a deal. Make sure to use silicone at both ends of the rubber gasket during installation.
  3. Z71_guy

Z71_guy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

like jimmiee said sounds like that seal moved
  4. phoebeisis

phoebeisis New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Jimmie,Z71_GUY

Thanks for the quick response.
    I'm a bit unclear. Is the oil pan gasket leaking-seal moved a bit to the outside - or that built in timing cover seal-which is sorta integral to the timing cover.

I'm hoping it is just the oil pan seal, since to get to the timing cover I have to pull the harmonic balance , the fan and the pulleys.

I don't have a special harmonic balance puller-large part of the reason I had this guy do the work.

So is it the oil pan gasket or the timing cover gasket??Just best guess of course,

I know that the oil pan gasket seals between the timing cover and the oil pan and the engine-.

Thanks
    Charlie
  5. ukrkoz

ukrkoz New Member 100 Posts

ok, what you need to do is to jack the front, get under, bring along a can of choke cleaner, as it works very well for this, and remove all and any oil residue from anywhere around timing cover all the way around the oil pan gasket in question.
    wipe it totally clean.
    drive for 2 days.
    jack again and check it out.
    1. if you have MAIN SEAL leaking, it'll show itself. awfully close to where you describe the leak.
    2. if it's the pan gasket, then clean it again, wipe out dry, clean again, wipe out dry, then use some degreaser to make it super dry and clean.
    put a ton of red silicone along the pan gasket perimeter and let it harden.
    i have fixed my OEM gasket like this.
    but you must determine is it's main seal or pan gasket.
    NEVER EVER USE CORK GASKETS ON ANYTHING!! POS:grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr:
  6. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

didnt align the gaskets well enough.