1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Headlight Restoration kit

Discussion in 'Detailing & Truck Care' started by Conlan Rose, Sep 18, 2012.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

So since I bought my truck I tried to clean up both the headlights and taillights. I used Fast-bright that product that supposedly works like magic and cleans the lenses right up. Well worked wonders on the head light but not much on the tails.

Just wondering what you guys out their have used that's worked on either just the headlights or both. And what you think is the best product for restoring factory lenses.
  2. The Heater

The Heater Member 100 Posts

All so called restoration kits are some kind of abrasive kit. You can go buy 1500 and 2000 grit wet dry sandpaper at your auto body supply store, use water and get the surface most of the way smooth, then use Flitz cleaner/polish to finish the job, with one of their ball type polishers and a plug in variable speed drill. Works great. Or you can do what I did on my truck: buy new headlamp assemblies.
  3. PantheraUncia

PantheraUncia Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I am not going to say this place is the best.... because they are "cheap" relatively speaking, but we have a place called Cert-i-fit close by. The local dealer wanted something like $250 for each factory lamp casing..... I spent $30-40 each at Cert-i-Fit.

I also get my powered side mirrors there too. the whole power side mirror is about $25 each ( left side/right side). To the average person, no one knows the difference and I saved allot of money.

When I do stop by dealer, they know they are not "GM" parts, but I tell them, yep your right. I can buy 7 of these for every one of yours. In 12 years, the 3 that I bought at $25 each paid for less than 1 of yours.
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

While not exactly a restoration kit, Certi-fit has a number of locations nation-wide ... and an online site, oo (http://www.certifit.com/) ... and they -can- be very cheap, full-on replacements. Why restore when you can replace?
  5. PantheraUncia

Exactly....... Brand New casings @ $25- $40 is something you can't beat, unless you want some special aftermarket ones that will cost you $250 a pair anyway. The restoration kits average what $19?
  6. SurrealOne

$20-$30 for a kit, depending on who makes it.
  7. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Super Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The main purpose of this thread was restoration kits, the quick fix ones that cost $20-30 and do a decent job.
  8. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Ok Ok Who would like a FREE KIT!!!!? Details to come soon.. Get your Thinking Caps on...:party:
  9. PantheraUncia

LOL. I guess I don't need one, I just buy replacement cases with new lenses on the cheap :)
  10. SurrealOne

Knowing you, it's a Sylvania. And you knowing me, you probably know I've already used a Sylvania kit. Consumer reports rated it the best among those they tested. Retail is about $21.00 on it. I felt the one I used was worth it.