Best kind of Oil to use

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by csattley14, Apr 11, 2010.

1. csattley14

csattley14 Rockstar

What type of oil do all of you run in your trucks? What is the best kind of oil to use, any pros and cons of using a specific oil?

The reason I am asking is I am thinking about switching it over to synthetic oil, if it already isn't on synthetic. I don't know what the dealer put in the truck when they changed the oil when they got it on the lot from a trade in, and I forgot to ask.

2. 1st Synthetics

1st Synthetics Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Use the proven best, AMSOIL!

If it were my truck I would only use AMSOIL in it. Not only is it the best oil available on the market but you will see many benefits from using it:AMSOIL extended drain intervals means fewer oil changes, long term savings and convenience. Even if you drive only 12,000 miles per year, the cost for AMSOIL motor oil is less than you pay for petroleum oil now! And you still get better wear protection, lower engine temperatures, improved fuel efficiency and easier cold-weather starts. All of these benefits add up to reduced operating costs and longer engine life. Change your oil and filter today and in 12 months change the oil and filter again. That’s it! What could be more convenient and good for your vehicle, too?

Let me know if you want a trial Preferred Customer Membership as I am offering it free to members of this site. It allows you to buy AMSOIL products at the wholesale price.

Scott

Check out my website for more information: www.1st-synthetics.com

3. csattley14

csattley14 Rockstar

Thanks for the information. I might consider it I will do a little bit more research and get back with you.

4. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

You forgot to mention that if you have any oil leaks and switch to synthetic, they will get worse. I use Castrol GTX with Lucas Oil Stabilizer and a K&N oil filter.

5. csattley14

csattley14 Rockstar

I sure hope I haven't encountered any oil leaks on it yet. Just didn't know what Chevy dealers put in all the cars that they service was another question I had as well.

6. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

A used vehicle from a dealership?
    They put the cheapest oil in the vehicle that they had on hand.

7. maninbox

maninbox New Member

Amsoil is fine oil but keep in mind that thier real schtick is to get people to pay $10 or $12 per quart for synthetic oil.

Completely acceptable is any major brand synthetic oil available almost anywhere like Walmart and any auto stores for about $5 per quart or less.

I changed to synthetic oil in my 2001 Suburban after 100,000 miles. The first oil change did lose a quart or 2 of oil but now I'm on the second change with synthetic Mobil 1 oil and no more oil loss yet. The synthetic oil lubricating properties last longer than dino oil and the real limiting factor is that all oils get dirty.

You can search the net for many oil test comparisons and generally, they will all tell you that synthetic oil is a superior product but contamination is the real enemy, not loss of any lubrication and protection properties.

Just my 2¢. Your mileage may vary....

1 person likes this.
  8. wis bang

wis bang Rockstar 100 Posts

This is a myth! it was somewhat true 15 - 20 years ago when dino oils sludged more and the change to synth oil disolved the sludge opening up stuff that was sealed by sludge. Newer dino oils sludge less [unless you drive a dodge] and canging to synth oil usually doesn't create oil leaks...another urban garage myth is that you can't go back to dino oil from synth...you can.

1 person likes this.
  9. scott1981

scott1981 New Member

This is true, the sludge formed a faux seal and the synthetic only cleaned the sludge allowing the problem to be seen. synthetic oils have the same seal swelling additives that the dino has.

I have run Mobil 1 since 2000 on all my vehicles. I drive 2-3k a month and just changed the oil every 5k. With over 300k total miles spread over 3 vehicles I have never had any motor issues on any of these trucks.

Since I do the oil changes myself 6 quarts plus a filter are less than $40, cheaper than most oil change places using crappy bulk oil.

1 person likes this.
  10. csattley14

csattley14 Rockstar

Thanks for the info guys, giving me a lot of stuff to think about here.