Best Nav Option, Factory, Advent OGM-1, etc.?

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by stchman, Nov 5, 2012.

1. stchman

stchman Active Member 1 Year 1000 Posts

Hello all.

Wanting to get advice.

I have a a 2013 Silverado Crew Cab with Bose, rear camera, bluetooth, USB, etc., what is the best option for Nav. GM IMO wants WAYYYY too much for their Nav ($2000+), the Advent OGM-1 looks like it is just the ticket, I just cannot get the price.

Thanks.

2. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

I just bought a Kenwood DNX 6990 that I like a lot. I asked a question similar to this before I pulled the trigger. Most said the Kenwood Nav radio's were the wy to go.

3. stchman

What about all the options? Did the steering wheel controls, XM, microphone, USB port in the console, etc.?

Did it use the factory GPS antenna? As far as a display for the backup camera, it is in the rearview mirror, so no biggie.

4. aloxdaddy99

I am using a PAC Audio RP5-GM31 wire harness to keep the options. I do not have the Bose system but PAC does make a harness to go with the Bose system. I do not have a back up camera but there is an input for that on the radio.

5. Jerminator

Jerminator New Member

I just bought a Advent OGM1. Price 975.oo+ shipping $50.00

6. stchman

Where did you get it? Was it used?

7. Jerminator

Jerminator New Member

No New. ADC Mobile electronics 253-297-4570 Ask for Walt

8. stchman

Did you install yourself? Was it easy? From other videos I have seen, it looks like the factory mic and GPS antenna are not used. Is that the case still?

My 2013 Silverado already has a backup camera.

9. Jerminator

Jerminator New Member

It is all plug & play. I didn't install it myself. I have shoulder injury and couldn't do it. The unit has it's own mic & gps antenna.

10. aloxdaddy99

If you search on Amazon.com you will be able to find a HU like mine for around $700 or so. The adapter is about $200. When I was looking to buy a truck I searched the internet for info for the OEM Nav unit and found it to be way over priced from the stealership (I think they were asking around $2200) and the overall opinion was not favorable. Because of the info I found I decided to not get it from the dealership and go aftermarket. I installed the same hu in my wife's car and liked it enough to put it in my truck. As to your question about all the extra's. Yes you can keep your USB on the dash. An adapter to go from a USB to mini USB is needed for that. Yes you can keep XM. The PAC unit will keep the stock XM working. The only thing I didn't like is the display for song info is displayed on the DIC. So I decided to get an after market XM unit so the info will go back to the HU. I will be using the stock shark antenna on my aftermarket XM unit. By using the PAC unit the OnStar unit still works as it did as stock. The warning chimes still also work as stock.
    The other issue I looked at was I wanted to upgrade my overall sound system. An aftermarket HU will allow for the addition of an amp. Otherwise you will need to and a line out converter (LOC). So for a the same or a bit more money I felt the aftermarket unit allowed for more expansion for me. I hope this info helps.