1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Off-Road Tire?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by lifted6.6, Sep 8, 2013.

1. lifted6.6

lifted6.6 New Member

hi, I am in the market for new tires! I drive to school and back(10 miles) everyday and off road and go to river on weekends. I am looking for a good off road tire in the size 36x13.50x20 or 37x12.50x20! any help is greatly appreciated!
  2. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Are looking for an "all terrain" or something more aggressive like a mud tire? What tires do have now?
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

IMHO, it's the driver not the tires.

But a few I've seen are
    not sure about durability or wear, just have a couple thousand ready every so often

toyo open country m/t
    mickey Thompson m/t
    Nitto mud grapplers

I always run all terrains on my truck and I've never been stuck with
    toyo open country a/t
    Mastercraft courser a/t

but these tires aren't that big
  4. truc.karl

truc.karl New Member

Get the Terra Grapplers if want a set of aggressive tires that are pavement friendly as well.
  5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts

Tire threads are great because you will get 400 different suggestions for 400 different tires:happy:. That being said I have Cooper Discoverer STT. They are a hybrid AT/MT tire. I am looking at getting over 40k miles on them. Have taken them in the mud, and snow and they performed great. In water and in dry the grip has been great as well. I have a running (although slow updates as its not a daily driver anymore) review thread on them. http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/showthread.php/52267-Cooper-ST-or-GY-duratrac/page2 the review doesn't start until page 2 as I started the thread looking to narrow down tire selections as well. American made by an American company too.
  6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts

I run Mickey Thompson Baja Claws. They are loud as heck on the highway and on long road trips I would have to stop and let them cool down, because the rubber would become super soft. But, They perform spectacular in the mud, sand, and snow. I never have had an issue with traction with them. Actually, I have to be careful because they hook up so good sometimes that I fear that I may twist a drive shaft or axle shaft. I hardly ever have to drop it in 4x4 unless the mud is super deep and sticky or I am pulling someone out. I also ran Dick Cepek Radial fun countrys. They rode nice on the road, did awesome in sand, and decent in mud. When I say "in mud" I mean mud up to nearly the top of my 38.5's.
  7. ridick_bowen

ridick_bowen New Member

I run Toyo AT2s. They the ****.

For mudding, Toyo M/Ts FTMFW!!!!!
  8. McClintoc

McClintoc Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Tire and oil change threads are the best! lol
  9. lifted6.6

lifted6.6 New Member

I run 37x14.00x20 falken wild peak and yes I wont mud tires like I drive down flooded pipelines alot
  10. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member

Stay away from mastercraft unless you get the a/t's. The rest will get you stuck the snot some old man just spit from the sidewalk... I'm a forever fan of bf-g and nitto. The Falken wildpeak a are great for the first 25% of their life. After that the shoulders bald.