1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Options to give the 5.3 More Horsepower?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by unsub, Jul 23, 2013.

1. unsub

unsub New Member

Just looking for advice on mods to power up the 5.3. Instead of doing a crate swap I will be having my engine rebuilt. All I know for horsepower mods is a new cam and full exhaust with a retune after.

Anybody power up their 5.3, if so how?

Looking to give the 285 HP 5.3 an added 25-50 HP before I lift it.
  2. Jeepman

Jeepman New Member

Port and polish heads. Gasket match intake and exhaust ports. These are things I had done to my Jeep.
  3. unsub

unsub New Member

Yes. I have decided on a overhaul being I have a master mechanic I know over in Eau Claire, WI who gives me half normal labor costs. I will have a stage 1 porting and polishing headjob along with bigger intake/exhaust valves and a cam job. The price on the work and labor is half the cost of the crate engine I was looking at. Need that extra cash for paint and lift.