Best Performance Upgrades?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Sexypants209, Aug 7, 2013.

Newest Photos

1. Sexypants209

Sexypants209 New Member

I just bought an 04 Sierra 2500HD. I was wondering what anyone would recommend for performance upgrades. I'm not looking for power as much as I am more interested in mpg and something that may help the truck last the longest. I don't want to mess with anything that could lead to potential bigger problems down the road. Suggestions? Thanks
  2. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member 100 Posts

easy top 3 upgrades:
    1)air intake
    2)exhaust system
    3)programmer/monitoring display (many choices there depending on your desires)
  3. stchman

stchman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Is the truck a 6.0L gas or 6.6L Duramax?

CAI don't do much as the stock box functions as a CAI, you might want to replace the intake tube with something that does not have those silly resonators.

I would definitely go with at least replacing the water heater sized mufflers they put on these trucks to something less restrictive. If you want to get fancy, you can replace the exhaust manifolds with some headers.

A ECM tune can give you some more noticeable HP/Tq gains, but usually at the expense of fuel economy.

One thing that will give you some better MPGs is to put on a tonneau cover. The Silverado XFE comes with a factory tonneau cover. As to which tonneau cover to buy, there are MANY to choose from.
  4. KyleZ71

KyleZ71 New Member 100 Posts

Everything he just said^
  5. Sexypants209

Sexypants209 New Member

[MENTION=57614]stchman[/MENTION], it's a duramax diesel. The first diesel I've had. Thanks, for all the feed back.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm new to all this stuff so it's kind of foreign. I've never really taken much of an interest in any of my vehicles. Just sort of a point A to point B thing for me. Now that I have a truck I'm proud of I want to take care of it and learn as much as I can about it. What is a tonneau cover, and an ECM tune? Sorry, like I said it's all new to me, definitely appreciate the help though. Thank you
  6. 4by44ever

4by44ever New Member

The things said are oke .But to gain something true your exhaust you need to replace the complete system.air- intake is a bit of a scam.Only an other air-intake does next to nothing.
    Doing both will make it easier to get the ECM tuned better for maximum hp/torque,for better milage stay stock,don't forget:the more air you take in,the more power but also more fuel needed,you can't drive on air alone.
    ECM-tune can give big gain,but like you said,you want better mpg so you have to make that very clear when you get it tuned.(they are used to go for hp)or get a tuning-device(2-300$),a good one really does work,that way you can go for MPG or HP,whatever,whenever.
    Tonneau-cover is a must,small mirrors(no,this is no yoke)do a bit.
    The big gainers on fuel are your tires and most of all weight,but driving around without doors,seats,tonneau and what more isn't really comfortable;
    Greetings
  7. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 100 Posts

Hypertech makes good products and you can program the ECM as needed for mpg, HP/TQ, towing, ect. Larger diameter exhaust is a good improvement as the faster the exhaust can get through the pipe, the better that turbo performes to an extend. The turbo obviously has limitations
    Redo the programming after upgrades
    Last edited: Aug 7, 2013
  8. JimmyA

JimmyA Member 100 Posts

Forget the "Air Box" thingy, unless you want to add more fuel! Add power with the "Tuner" but you only feel it @ "Full Throttle" but there are many +'s....... A exhaust up-grade works a little bit!
  9. truc.karl

truc.karl New Member

Getting a custom tune can really boost the performance of your rig.
  10. ajarman

ajarman New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

H&S tune FTW! My buddy has a '00 Dmax and he runs his on the "mild" tune and gets 26mpg around town and when we haul his 10k lb boat to the beach he averages 18mpg. Well worth the money. Other than the tune the truck is stock performance wise.