1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

Best Plugs - Wires - Oil?

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Tracey121, Nov 7, 2011.

1. Tracey121

Tracey121 New Member

1997 GMC Suburban C1500 needs a tune up at 125k.

Its time to buy wires and plugs.
    What would be the best plugs and possibly wires for the buck?

I have never used synthetic oil, however, I'm trying to put this truck in
    really good condition. Is the price of synthetic oil worth it since I normally change at 3k due to particle build up in the oil and filter? Does synthetic cause less resistance and therefore less particle contamination?

Thanks much for your comments,

Tracey
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Alright plugs you always want to use AC delco Platinums in the Vortec motors. As to wires any decent brand of 8mm wires will be good. Make sure that you change the cap and rotor as well. As to oil. i think you will get a wide variety of votes on synthetic or dino. Me i use Dino on my high milage vehicles if they havent ever run Synthetic because it is less likely to go by the seals in the motor. Running a good Quality 10W30 with a good quality Filter will keep the gunk out of your motor as well! If the motor has always run synthetic, and you arent leaking nor burning it it then i honestly would stick with it.
  3. BrownPats420

BrownPats420 New Member

I'm planning on switching to synthetic my next oil change
  4. Caddiac

Caddiac New Member 1000 Posts

Why do you want to change your plug wires? With an ODBII engine it will tell you if there is a problem. The wires are built to last and they are easily checked. I am a cheap bastard. I am still running the factory wires at 13 years and 251K miles.
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club, Tracey. I run A/C Delco Platinums, MSD wires and Mobil 1 in my '96 'Burb since new with no problems.
  6. ippielb

ippielb Active Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I recommend the MSD ignition wires, i have them on my 2002 and i haven't had any problems, and as stated above, AC Delco are the best plugs for GM, i highly recommend the iridium tips. Right now i'm giving those E3 plugs a try for Sh*ts and giggles. And for oil, AmsOil by far is the best oil i have ever used.