1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

Best price/performance on my 01 Silverado 2WD?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Nebraska1500, Aug 4, 2010.

1. Nebraska1500

Nebraska1500 New Member

Well i have the 5.3L V8, one stock right now, automatic tranny. its a first vehicle and im still in high school so funds are tight, but i would like to add performance, so here's my thoughts for add ons:

Cold Air Intake (Spectre brand)
    Cat Back Exhaust (Dynomax Ultra Flow with dual out)
    Performance tuner (Hypertech)

Long tube headers (Pacesetter)
    Pacesteer y-pipe

You think thats a good start for a fast daily driver?? I was told switching out gears might help but need some more info on that

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Go with a Diablo Preditor programmer, it runs circles around a hypertech. Much more tuning capibilitys.

3. Nebraska1500

Nebraska1500 New Member

i looked on summits site and then dont have one for the 5.3L 2WD version :(

4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Go to 4WheelOnLine.com, they have them for $274.00 shipped.

5. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Well you don't really have to change the gears unless you add bigger tires but make sure what gears you currently have if you go that route. Look at the RPO codes in your glove box then research online. It all depends on your budget also, I know you said funds are tight so the spectre is relatively cheap compared to K&N and AEM, you can get the PaceSetter LTs on a site called autoanything for $319 with free shipping, y pipe for about $150 and the exhaust for around $400. You'd be lucky to have the Cold Air Intake, Long-tube headers with y-pipe, and cat-back exhaust give you as much performance as the Diablo would alone. So with the tight budget, you should spend the $274 now and gain 20HP, improved throttle response, better gas mileage, and firmer tranny shifts instead of paying in the ballpark of $1,000 for the other mods. The beauty of the Diablo is that you can tune your truck after each mod, so you don't need to buy all the bolt-ons at once. I'd say that you could see close to 50HP+ with all of your mods combined though if you get a custom tune for the Diablo.

6. ZSI52

ZSI52 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

gears will help. Whats your gear ratio now?

7. AL3X

AL3X Rockstar

this is true one of my cousins has a single cab 5.3 with just an intake and the diablo programmer and when he raced my friend they were going at it together and that guy had an intake, headers, and exhaust but it cost him more as compared to just buying the programmer

8. Nebraska1500

Nebraska1500 New Member

yeah thinking i may go with the diablo predator first, and may have to tune it myself cuz there is only 1 dyno place near me, and im not even fully sure they do custom tunes. so if i go with the diablo predator first, then i'll probly upgrade intake/ full exhaust. i added up and total it will be about $1200. so much cheaper than a supercharger and still making good hp. i'll go check my glove compartment now and see what gear ratio i have now.

EDIT: The truck isnt here right now, but i do have my manual and according to that theyr'e either 3.42 or 3.73 gears

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  9. adam0285

adam0285 Rockstar

most tuners these days are designed so you can tune them yourself. Saves huge amounts of money having someone else do a custom tune on a dyno. The programmer plugs into your truck and then asks you questions and depending on your answers it can adjust the computer settings to optimize your performance.

10. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

Well the bolt-ons don't really compare to a supercharger; even with all those bolt-ons and the Diablo you won't obtain the gains that you can get from a supercharger. I think most superchargers claim increases up to 150HP for the 6.0L and up to 90HP for the 5.3L. But you will also spend over $5000 on everything needed for the supercharger. Like I said, the bolt-ons and Diablo will get you up to 40HP and if you get a tune with that from Diablew you might see up to 60HP.