Best programmer? Chevy Silverado 1500 6.0 Max

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by Judson, Oct 1, 2010.

1. rutroe

rutroe New Member

I'm gonna have to agree that tunes, be they via hand held programmers or live tunes, have their followings. It's not always possible to try out different tune methods and asking someone what they think is the best tune/programmer is suspect considering two different people more than likely have two different sets of variables. However, generally speaking from my experience, a live tune is the best way to go (cue the skeptics). I had an Edge programmer and enjoyed it when I didn't know the difference. After I got my live HPTuners tune, there was a noticeable difference for the better. My 2ยข...

2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Jenna, does your EFI Autocal require a laptop computer to due data logging?

3. JennaBear

JennaBear Rockstar 100 Posts

No, a laptop/computer is only required to email and view logs. One could use a laptop in conjunction with the AutoCal, if they wished to monitor logs while driving.

4. samedalife

samedalife New Member

i am new to this site ,
    monte ss is here and there,,
    but is allways on top off his game
    can not go wrong with a diablosport !!

5. HDnitetrain

HDnitetrain New Member

simple upgrades with alot of added hores

2005 silverado with throttle body spacer, dual exaust, superchip, upgraded mass air flow sensor and K&N cold air intake and im catching rubber in 3rd gear...need to put on dyno to see how many horses i have gained thru these simple upgrades ....the throttle body spacer was the biggest surprise. after a 20 minute installation i pullled out of the driveway and chirped the tires without even trying....i suggest this simple upgrade.....with the super chip u will need to use high octane fuel

6. 06MonteSS

06MonteSS Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

aftermarket MAF sensor was a bad idea... #1 - no need for one, the stock MAF is good for 550+ hp.. #2 - it fools the pcm into thinking the engine is running leaner than it really is... which makes things worse when a tune is installed and IT leans out the fueling the correct way, with the new programming... #3 - not to mention it throws off your fueling/fuel trims and your fueling won't be correct, and will be a bitch to try and get dialed in correctly, since that aftermarket maf skews the real readings/values...

I'd get the original stock GM MAF put back on....

Last edited: Dec 17, 2010
  7. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I think you will be surprised by how few HP you have really gained. I'm thinking you are looking around 20-25 extra HP from your mods, and that's reaching IMO: Superchip= maybe 15HP, exhaust= maybe 5-10HP, CAI= if you're lucky 1-5HP. Although I have one myself, the TBS is basically for sound/whistle noise, no real performance increase, and 06MonteSS told you the deal with your aftermarket MAF sensor. You could've used the money spent on the TBS and MAF sensor for some long-tube headers.

8. popeye

popeye New Member

I've not seen one thread on the Hypertech Max Energy Econ tuning system. Is it not a good product?

9. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

It's probably not "bad" but there is a strong following for the DSP, myself included in that following. For $270 it is pretty close to the cheapest hand-held tuner on the market and it does wonders. Also, I believe the Hypertech costs about $330.

10. popeye

popeye New Member

I see that you say that your truck is soon to be tuned by diablew. What is that?