GM Truck Club
THE PREMIER CHEVY TRUCK & SUV FORUM
Founded in 2004 ~ We're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV Forum.
Silverado & Sierra | Tahoe & Yukon | Suburban & Yukon XL | SUV & CROSSOVER

Best programmer?

Discussion in 'Performance & Fuel' started by chiefbkt, Mar 10, 2009.

1. chiefbkt

chiefbkt New Member

I am going to buy a programmer for my truck and was wondering which one is the best, or is highly recommended. Anybody with suggestions?
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member

Had Hypertech,Superchips and Diablo, all tried in the same truck and I kept the Diablo. It has alot more tuning adjustments than the other two. diablos 87octane tune runs better than there 93octane tune. Diablos website doenst show everything you can do with there programmer. Some people find it intimidating, but just read there website and the owners manual. Dont be scared of screwing up the trucks ecm because if you make a mistake just hit the escape button and you go back to stock setting and just start over.
  3. Jimmiee

Jimmiee New Member

How were you able to try all 3 products? Do they have a trial period?
  4. mjalstad

mjalstad New Member

X2 on the Predator. I had a Hypertech on my last truck and had a Hypertech on my current truck, I bought a Predator to try it out because I had heard good things and I ended up selling the Hypertech. The Predator is superior by far.
  5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

I was just wondering if the only programmers you guys have ever seen are the Hypertech, Diablo, SuperChips, it just seems like no one is wanting to step a little outside of the normal box. I have a Granatelli programmer on my 4.3 in my S-10 and it rocks, I can do all kinds of stuff with it but I haven't found one other person on here that has one or has even tried one. I was just curios that's all, here's a link to their website.
    http://www.granatellimotorsports.com/product.php?pid=10
  6. cascott325

cascott325 New Member

i have my heart set an a diablo too
  7. mjalstad

mjalstad New Member

I think Granatelli and the Predator are linked together somehow. I have seen Predators for sale on ebay that have a Granatelli stickers on them
  8. Marcus

Marcus New Member

the best bang for my buck so far has been using wait4meperformance. I just got my tune in this week and so far i love it. Not a bad price either at $160 even. The truck shifts better and I added the tow/haul ass mode and it really puts you in your seat. He uses EFI live. Check him out or give him a call he has excellent customer service.
  9. silveradotrailblazer

Best Programmer

Diablo used to make the Granatelli, but I THINK Superchips makes them now.
  10. fjrocketman

fjrocketman New Member

I purchased the Edge Evolution for my 2008 Silverado Z71. It looks really cool, comes with a dash mount pod that looks like stock matching perfectly. On the economy mode I have gained 1-1.5 mpg but love to play with the performance 1/4 mile and 0-60 tests it has. It also allows you to choose up to 4 realtime diplays while driving and also the color which I have set to match the gauge colors in my truck. Guys at work have now purchased the same thing for their trucks now that they have seen mine.
  11. ippielb

ippielb New Member

I read that alot of people like Hypertech. I was wondering what you guys thought of the HYPERTECH Max Energy Programmer? Is it worth $379? I read on their website that it can do alot of tuning factoring tire size and the transmission, when it shifts according to your speed. Also the rpm limit and more. Is it worth the money? My truck is getting horrible gas mleage right now. Only 12 mpg so this would hopefully help it.
  12. Twiztidss

Twiztidss New Member

diablosport predator handheld programmer

I have a predator by diablosport that i am selling. I plugged it in once and bought it about 2 weeks ago. The difference was night and day! better shift points, more power throughout rpm band much more response and much firmer shifting. My buddy owns a shop by me and just sold his truck and took the supercharger off it. I am going to buy it off him and have him install it thus i will need a custom tune to make everything work. LIke i said this thing is practicaly brand new!!! i still have the box and even the sticker that goes over the part of the programmer to protect it from scratches (just like the plastic film on brand new cell phones). I paid $369 shipped. my loss is your gain. i will sell it for $280 shipped! just pm me or email me and we can make arrangements. my number is 845 238 4024 if you need any more info on the programmer. It works for all engines 4.8 5.3 5.7 6.0 8.1 the programmer is the U7193 they stopped making the U7195 and put all the info in the U7193.
  13. silverlight

silverlight New Member

I use HPTuners for my truck, don't know if thats the same thing as what y'all are talking about. I used it for MAF calibration, changed the TQ management a little, timing tables, AFR table.

Only picked up about 10% gain in gas mileage, wish I had a dyno to see if I picked up any HP. I guess I could take it to the track and find out that way.....lol
  14. silveradotrailblazer

Hello ipielb, the Hypertech is very user freindly and it depends on how much and what kind of tuning you want to do. The Hypertech will do basic performance tuning, but if you want more (adjust timing, idle,fuel trims etc.) than go with the Diablo. You can update and get custom tune over the internet also. With the Diablo you can also adjust that annoying qwick 1-2 trans shift.
  15. ippielb

ippielb New Member

Yeah, i've actually been researching on diablo now after reading all this thread over. And when i do get enough guts to purchase a tuner, I'll definitely purchase a diablo predator. Just wondering, but if i do get a programmer, can i tune my truck, and other trucks that are similiar to mine? As in newer 5.3l's? Because i know my dad would love to increase his gas mileage with just a little programming. And i know a few friends that would like it done too. But of course for a price ;)
  16. silveradotrailblazer

All programmers are vin locked. They will do only one truck at a time. You can return your truck to stock tune and use on another but your truck will have the stock tune. The tuning companies couldnt stay in business if they didnt vin lock. Its not that there trying to screw people but they do alot of R&D and need to get payed so they can do future R&D. Also the Diablo Preditor will do everything the Hypertech Max will do and more. Although the Diablo isnt as user freindly once you get used to it youll have fun with it. You cant screw anything up because if you make a mistake you just press escape button and it goes back to stock or beganning of section your in.
  17. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member

This is the only programmer to my knowledge that can tune up to 4 vehicles at one time, you have to have a lap top in order to make this work also. The one that is shown in this link is $475 and will do a whole slew of different motors, BUT if you really want something that is truly versatile then check out there other spectrum tuner. It will run you a cool $675 BUT it will also program a diesel engine also, look under the applications tab to see what I am talking about. I had the pleasure of actually seeing this product in use at Summit Racing and it was extremely impressive, If I would have seen this before my Hyperpac I would have bought this instead. I will say this you have to have some kind of knowledge of engine dynamics to use this, it is not just a series of "yes" and "no" answers like most scanners. Take a look just for fun anyways, see what you think?

Here is another thought, if you use it on your truck and charge 3 other people to use it you could easily make up the difference in money. :glasses:

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=JET-14005&N=700 115&autoview=sku
  18. silveradotrailblazer

I dont know about this Jet tuner, but we tried other Jet tuning products and the H/P gains were never what they claimed. We had customer install a Jet tuning product on his Monte Carlo (this was a few years back) and when the check engine light came on he called there tech line and the Jet tech told the customer to just cover the check engine light with electrical tape(no he really did) Ofcorse the customer was real happy! I dont want to seem like a downer, but I seen tomany people spend hard earned money on products that just dont work well and tomany times the people just accept it and think they cant do anything. Thats alot of money, shop carefully.
  19. Twiztidss

Twiztidss New Member

programmer

i have been trying to reply to the messages about the diablosport predator programmer but to no success so i am trying to pm you guys back now. This programmer is still available as i have had several emails about it but couldn't contact anyone. The price is 280 shipped which is about 100 cheaper than anywhere else and this things only been plugged in once. it gives over 20 hp and torque to the wheels! you can change your shift points and make them firmer ( just like a shift kit!) It comes stock with 3 tunes, 87, 91 performance, 91 towing. each tune is night and day over the stock pcm. this gives you more spark and better timing, you will have increased fuel economy and more power! You can also plug and play and create your own tune and if you need to take it to the dealership for warranty issues you can bring it back to stock in under 5 minutes with no history it was even there! just read about it on this site, its a must have. i need a custom tune for the supercharger so my loss is your gain. this is first come first serve, calling my cell will be the quickest way you can reach me. you can try to pm me back but i only check it about once every day or every other day. my cell is 845 238 4024. the part number is u7193 which is the updated u7195. it will work on gm trucks engine size 4.8 5.3 6.0 8.1
  20. Twiztidss

Twiztidss New Member

diablosport programmer

i figured out why i can't pm you guys back now, i do not have enough posts yet. you will have to call my cell if you are interested. the programmer is still for sale. call me or pm me with your number so i can respond. 845 238 4024. thanks
    -ken