1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

best project option would be?

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by lioneyes209, Aug 6, 2009.

1. lioneyes209

lioneyes209 New Member

just purchased a 1993 silverado as engine donor for a 1989 GMC regular cab short box (fleet side) 4X4 that I plan to buy. the 93 has a real strong 5.7 FI tied to a solid th700r. the 89 has no engine, but the owner says the tranny was just rebuilt, which is good as the tranny from the donor truck will not work in a 4x4. however, in addition to the engine, there are numerous other good parts, that will fit the 89. i currently own a 1979 chev 2wd base (regular box) with great restoration potential. it has a in-line 6 with auto trans. NOW the questions - in your opinion, which way would you go from this cross road a) buy the 89 GMC and install the engine or b) slide the engine and tranny into the 79 chev and restore. my main concerns at this point in time is - project compexity (i have limited skills) and cost (limited here too) any comments would be appreciated .. thx
  2. Falcone

Falcone New Member

well if the 79 needs a full resto and the 89 is just a engine swap.. it clearly wins in the cost and time choices. but we both know you want the 79 to be cherry again.
  3. lioneyes209

lioneyes209 New Member

guilty as charged ... i just want someone to talk me out of it:neutral:
  4. azdrtdog

azdrtdog New Member

i agree let that 79 ripen on the vine a little longer (classic wise) but the 89 is prime pickings for beating the snot out of since its a 4x4 and there are plenty of parts. cover the 79 come back in ten years an she'll be ready for a resto and your wallet will be to