Best road trip ever

Discussion in 'Sports & Outdoors' started by ChevyFan, Jun 16, 2009.

1. ChevyFan

ChevyFan The Sheriff Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

What's your best road trip that you've ever taken?

Mine was probably when I moved from Seattle to DFW in 1999. We packed up and drove for four days hauling everything I owned in a U-haul trailer, logged over 2500 miles. Stopped for the night in Baker City, Oregon the first night. Then somewhere in the southern part of Idaho for the second night. Kansas for the third night and we were in Texas for the fourth day. It was a lot of fun and got to see a lot of the country.

Before that we used to drive up and down the west coast from Seattle all the way to San Diego once.

Since then there have been less long road trips. I've driven to the east coast from Dallas, heading all the way to South Carolina down to Orlando. That's about it. Lots of shorter local trips like to Houston, Austin, San Antonio, Oklahoma City, etc.

2. Springthing

Springthing Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

The one that sticks out in my mind is when I was a teen and my dad packed up the Cherokee Chief one day and said 'let's go on a road trip for a week.' My mother and sister both stayed at home and so we made our way from Canada down the east coast stopping here and there, no plan in mind. We got to Florida, drove around, did Disney, my dad called home and told my mom we'd be at least another week, did the alligator farm thing, the off shore fishing and then made out way back up again. We were gone just under 3 weeks in all.

I'm about to surpass that road trip, though, with one I'm taking in just a few short weeks. Going from Missouri to back home (Canada), will be there for... I don't know how long... and then back to Mo again. Should be a blast.

3. bry2500

bry2500 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

As a kid my family would drive from the Boston area to Port Charlotte, Florida every year. I looked forward to the trip every year. We would drive lazily and stop random places. It was like we were the Grizzwalds. I hope to do the same with my kids but my wife hates driving long distances. She says we would have to have a RV for her to go.

4. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Mine was probly when i went out to san diego and back....

It was pretty cool riving on the freeway next to the coast.

5. phoebeisis

phoebeisis Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

We have driven from River Ridge,LA (suburb of New Orleans) to Flagstaff AZ about 9 times since 2001. The first time just me and the dog drove-Tacoma 4 cyl- since then we did it in a Tundra-1 time, a Pilot 5 times,Suburban 2 times.

It is 1500 miles one way.When all three of us drove, we would drive straight thru stopping just for gas, bathroom, dog walks.We did it in 24.5 hours.

The last few times, I'm practically the only driver-wife drives maybe 1 hour/day. Now we drive 1/2 way-to Childress TX, and sleep at the rest stop there from 11 pm to 5 am.It is always summertime, so we sleep with the AC on.(cheaper than a motel, and I don't have to unload the Suburban).

I like driving across the SW-like passing the time of day with folks at rest stops etc.The Suburban is the best road trip vehicle-not as quiet as the Pilot, but so much roomier more comfortable. It is only 2 mpg down vs the Pilot-not bad.

Charlie

6. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Mine would be when my dad retired from the Air Force in 1974.
    He came home one afternoon two weeks before the end of the school year in a new Chevy truck with a cab-over camper and told us kids to get in the truck (nine kids) he didnt tell us where we were going until we were in Bend Oregon. We traveled to Vancouver, BC then across Canada stopping to fish every other day, we dropped down to Milwaukee Wisc. to see relatives then up to Niagra Falls for more fishing and New York city for sight seeing. We traveled down the eastern seaboard stopping to fish every other day again until we got to South Carolina and then cut across to Texas to see more relatives, then through New Mexico and Arizona to visit the painted Desert and Grand Canyon, up to Utah to see Flaming Gorge and then back to Sacramento.
    The trip took 2 months. Prior to this trip we had only lived in the United States for a year (all dads duty stations were overseas while we were younger) so it was a real learning experience for us.

7. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I don't have a best, my longest voluntary trips were from Maine to Cape Cod, about 250 miles. I do, however, have a worst.

When I was a newlywed, my pickup was stolen. It was a 10 year old 1981 Chevy S-10 with the Isuzu 1.9 liter. Ran great, no guts. Anyhow, we lived almost across from the fire station in a third floor walkup. Went downstairs on a Saturday morning, it was gone. Thought someone was playing a prank on me. Well, the truck was found in South Bend Indiana three weeks later. My older brother and I left on a Greyhound to go get it. After two days of basically no sleep, we get in the truck and head back. Big snowstorm chasing us, so we couldn't really dilly dally. Another day and a half of no sleep and we get back home. We still tell stories about the "interesting characters" we met along the way.

8. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Can't decide. There was one where my wife and I were sitting around and just decided to go for a drive. Living in Tucson, AZ at the time we decided to go north. We loaded up some clothes and my step daughter and later that day ended up near the Grand Canyon. We stayed the night in a nice motel, did some swimming and relaxing and then set out for the Grand Canyon the following morning and went back to Tucson that night. It was short but memorable. The other grat trip was when I took my wife and step daughter down to see where I went to high school (Fontana, CA) and then went to Hollywood (stumbled across the set of "Hancock") and then took my step daughter to the beach (Santa Monica) for the first time. We then drove up to Temecula, CA and stayed on my aunts estate where we had a blast swimming in her pool and playing on playing on her rock water slide. The next day we drove to San Diego and went to SeaWorld since it's free for military. We then drove back to my mother's house in Palm Springs and stayed a couple nights before making the drive back to Tucson. Those were definitely two of my most memorable road trips. Hopefully many more to come.

-Greg